Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Blog Entries

99 ultra 150 pump shot

I'm trying to diagnose and fix a problem for a friend of mine. Said he was cruising on the water in his 99 ultra 150 when he hit a piece of floating wood. His jetski made a loud "whirring sound", kind of like a turbo spinning up, and then he let off the gas quickly. Now it only does 15 mph or so. He brought it to me and there is nothing stuck in the intake grate or pump. I pulled the pump off and took about 1/4 cup of rusty water out of the pump and both bearings were basically gone.

I've heard over the years about bad things with the ultra 150 pumps, specifically the 99 model year. What is the corrective course of action here? I know the pump needs fixed, but I'm not entirely sure thats the entire problem. I still need to check out the pto shaft and assembly but its dark out and this is as far as I've gotten.

It also appears he's ridden it for awhile with the bearings shot so the liner on the pump is chewed up and the impeller is chewed up also.

Re: 99 ultra 150 pump shot

The wear ring might have survived but the prop probably didnt. Steve does a upgrade on the seals and I think has found a better bearing. You can ship him the pump and he will do all new seals and bearings. If the wear ring is worn down then he can machine the face of the housing to tighten the clearance up to better than factory spec.
    2004 ultra 150 71.3 @ mudbug IV 75.5 now
    http://www.ultra150.yuku.com/topic/364
    2000 ultra 150 work in progress 68.5 hunting 70
    http://www.ultra150.yuku.com/topic/2924
    1998 stx 1100
    1988 650sx
    Ultra 150 Mods
    http://www.ultra150.yuku.com/topic/2494

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger
    The wear ring might have survived but the prop probably didnt. Steve does a upgrade on the seals and I think has found a better bearing. You can ship him the pump and he will do all new seals and bearings. If the wear ring is worn down then he can machine the face of the housing to tighten the clearance up to better than factory spec.
    yeah, the wear ring is good, its just the prop thats chewed up. I'm just going to send the impeller to sbt and get their rebuild kit while i'm at it. The wear ring part is ok after i smoothed it out with my hone. Its not my jetski and money is a concern.

Kawasaki Master Tech PWCToday Newbie

The only way we have been able to keep Ultra 150 pump bearings from failing prematurely is to use the bearing and seal kit we have.. Other wise the repair will be short lived..
    Thanks, Steve
    Skiworx Watercraft Performance
    410-766-7900
    Ultra150.com Administrator/Owner

Please Visit Skiworx.com
    email steve@skiworx.com
    Visit Ultra150.com

Blog Entries

looks like im missing the prices on your site somewhere. I'm at ultra150.com but dont see prices near a pump kit or anything.

can you link directly to the kit?

nm, i found it. $100.00 for your service, but it doesn't include parts.

I'm not into the whole "send your stuff to us and we'll fix it" game so I'll just stick with SBT's kit. Don't have the time for it and my customer doesn't have the money. Thanks though for your replies.
    Last edited by slag; 08-22-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Kawasaki Master Tech PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by slag
    I'm not into the whole "send your stuff to us and we'll fix it" game so I'll just stick with SBT's kit. Don't have the time for it and my customer doesn't have the money. Thanks though for your replies.
    No problem. We were just tying to help you fix it correctly.. Our kit is $75.00 and does come with the improved seals (3).. Good luck with that.
    Thanks, Steve
    Skiworx Watercraft Performance
    410-766-7900
    Ultra150.com Administrator/Owner

Please Visit Skiworx.com
    email steve@skiworx.com
    Visit Ultra150.com

Blog Entries

I spoke with Steve and he was really helpful. I was misunderstood and thought I had to send my pump to them to get new seals installed. I was incorrect and steve will send the parts to you to do it and the current price of $75.00 for a kit that will actually keep water out is a great deal.

Steve, thanks for taking the time to pm me and let me know about your services.

Slag

Thread Information