Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    resident guru

Re: New law makes waves for young boaters, jet-skiers

Hmmmm, I must be reading this wrong...Kraqus, you say you wish they'd do something like this in California. Ski Clinic Kid, you are 15 and you say you'd sell your ski if they did this is California. Well, unless I'm missing something, California already has this law, right? You have to be 16 to legally operate solo a boat or PWC of greater than 15 horsepower (that pretty much covers everything addressed on this site!). You can operate a boat or PWC if somebody 18 or older is on-board supervising (which pretty much means a sit-down or a boat).

So, in Cali, if you're under 16, you pretty much can not ride a PWC alone!

PWCToday Newbie

I really pondered whether to comment or not. And most of my thoughts are kept to myself.
    What I'll share is...I'm old.
    The PWC's I own are for my teen sons 13 & 15.
    They're old PWC's in great shape, but they only have engines about 650cc.

We boat on Lake Michigan, almost directly across from Grand Haven.
    In WI, it's legal to operate the PWC's at 12 if properly trained and with your certificate.

I could probably put the people who are in favor of a 16yr old rule into one of four categories.

1. Don't have kids - This group doesn't truly understand the issue and has nothing to lose, everything to gain with fewer PWC's on the water. (note...by "don't understand" I mean, unless you have kids, you can't completely understand the issue. You might be able to have an opinion after seeing some of the dumb ones out there...but you can't fully understand).
    2. Have kids - but are too lazy to raise them properly and teach them to make good choices. (...or alternately...you have a kid who chronically makes bad choices yet you are too soft to make the hard choice to not put them in situations that require good choices all the time).
    3. You are law or rescue - and responsible for cleaning up after the dumb ones.
    4. Are close to someone who tragically lost someone who made bad choices out there.

It's not sound lawmaking - since the judgement skills don't come until way after the age of 16. Judgement is no better or worse at 16 than it is at 14 for most teens. That's proven to a point where it inarguable. So why not make the rule 18 - or better yet - 25 when it will actually do some good?

In Grandhaven, there's no reason for there to be a tragedy unless stupid takes over to an extreme. Grandhaven is on L.Michigan. The lake is ENORMOUS! And there's no reason at all to be within 1/2 mile of any other boat at any time ever. Most of the time, you can get a mile of separation without even trying.

And final thought - hopefully most if not all will agree - you can't legislate against stupid and you can't fix stupid. Trying to fix stupid is...well...stupid.

Parents - raise your kids.
    Government - get out of the way.

And to think - I kept most of my severe opinions to myself.

I agree with Jeff S. As I do not have any kids, but it really pisses me off that I won't be able to ride jetskis with them until they are practically out of high school. Another brialliant idea by that stupid ***** Granholm. Where were ya on this one AWA, glad I pay for a membership... Soon, I won't be legal to ride a pwc
    Authorized distributer for VP Racing Fuels

The leader in race fuel technology

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home The J-ROD's Avatar

haha in texas once ure 13 ( liek i am) and have a boaters education license than i can drive a boat or pwc by myself and i tear it up
    Last edited by The J-ROD; 07-17-2008 at 01:13 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

Having lived in Michigan near Holland all my life I can say that this law makes me upset. I was lucky enough to obtain my certificate when I was twelve so that I could enjoy the waters as much as an adult. Now that I am 26 I agree with many of you that much of this problem probably boils down to parents not taking the time to teach, and showing them how to make smart decisions, or at least putting them through a course were they have to display their knowledge and skills. The course around here to obtain a saftey certificate is a joke. Simply a day of classroom time and a simple test. (Politicians are afraid that if they make things too hard people will complain when they fail and have to pay an additional fee to retake) People need to take their kids out on the lake, show them, observe them, and make them prove that they can make correct decisions before sending them out on the lakes. I know that this was done to myself, my brothers, and my cousins. Just like anything else people need to be taught about thier machines and taught to respect them and others around them. Boating of any sort is about family, friends, and having a good time, why ruin a good thing. Some of my best memories where at the cottage with extented family all of us learning and having fun together.

That being said about the law and those comming of age and how I feel for them, the part of the law that bugs me the most (and correct me if I am wrong) is that I took boaters saftey when I was 12, I am now 26, I was born after 1978 so I need to still carry my cheap a** piece of laminated, falling apart, water soaked boaters saftey certificate with me whenever I go out on a jet boat, jetski, waverunner, seadoo, or whatever. Over the years I have lost the stupid paper at least half-a-dozen times and lucky for me I have found it back each time, because I am sure the fire department where I took the class or the officer that administered the test 14 years ago does not have a record that I took the class. The state needs to come up with a better way of tracking this such as adding the endorsement to our drivers liscense or something else that is not going to fall apart if it gets wet.

I love this state.

PWCToday Regular

washington state has this new law must be 14 and older to ride pwc and 12 and older to navigate a boat and must pass a boaters saftey class by 80%. the test is 75 questions and cost 35$ for the life time card. I took this course and my daughter took this course we both past it. I did learn some new stuff. I also beleive that kids should not ride skis that go 50 + miles an hour. I have raced bikes, karts, drag cars, and stock cars. you need to work your way up. its called seat time. you wouldnt give your kid a loaded gun and say go have fun with it ! It really sucks to have to tell your kids they cant ride because they changed the law!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home The J-ROD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kenbob26
    washington state has this new law must be 14 and older to ride pwc and 12 and older to navigate a boat and must pass a boaters saftey class by 80%. the test is 75 questions and cost 35$ for the life time card. I took this course and my daughter took this course we both past it. I did learn some new stuff. I also beleive that kids should not ride skis that go 50 + miles an hour. I have raced bikes, karts, drag cars, and stock cars. you need to work your way up. its called seat time. you wouldnt give your kid a loaded gun and say go have fun with it ! It really sucks to have to tell your kids they cant ride because they changed the law!
    im not too fond of this kids ridin skis under 50+mph....

On the Orange River in Fort Myers, Florida

I taught my two sons to learn the rules of the water and had them experience some contrived quasi dangerous situations at young ages (~10) before turning them out on there own at legal ages.

But I made one very BIG mistake. I mentally transferred their skill and abilities to friends of the same age that were also very responsible good kids. I felt uncomfortable but safe enough to allow them & their friends to independently ride our WR 500's; if they were of legal age (14 ) and I personally got the other rider's parental permission.

This transferral of assumed skills seemed realistic since my children were both excellent riders and they associated with responsible peers.

This attitude all ended when one of my sons had to retrieve a friend from the water. The rider was unconscious and floating face down when found. There was a freak accident that I never imagined could happen and actually should not have ever happened even with a beginner. But the friend panicked and lacked the experiences I had subjected my sons to so they innocently responded incorrectly to what you and I would have handled without even thinking about it.

To end this long story I would advise you to teach your kids to ride responsibly and handle unpredictable situations and have clear consequences for any transgressions. But don't assume your child's friends are safe as long as they are with your child.

Nobody died but bones were broken and hospital bills were paid.

Imagine the possible catastrophies when idiot parents of disobedient children let their idiot progeny ride with similar peers.
    Jim @ Fort Myers & Wildwood

(2) 96 stock Ventures
    (1) 99 SUV "Riva Stage II"

I dream skis

In NJ after 1978 all boaters need the safety cert: PWC or boats. I am not sure about the min. age though. Saw a bunch of kids looked to be 15 16 and some younger boating and drinking.....crazy....
    2012 Seadoo GTR-4" Kana intake, Resonator delete, Vtech, XIC, ET127-other tweaks-77mph @8400 rpms.
    1997 Seadoo GTX-500+ hrs, Bill O's Rejet, F/As, Solas PPG Tuned Prop -54.8 Gps at 7040 rpms-Rebuilt engine, custom painted, 97 SPX waterbox, ride plate bolts filled in.
    1996 Seadoo GTX-120 hours-Rejetted/FAs,NuJet Prop (pitched by me)-better on bottom end and chop then the 97, 53.8 Gps at 6920 rpms.
    1996 Seadoo GTX-116hrs, FA/Rejetted/Prop/-NJ vacation ski

the thing is i have my drivers license and im 15 which in north dakota means i can drive a boat/pwc and car! by my self but if i go to a diferent state i cant like when i went to california and took some waveruners out i was kinda mad i couldnt drive alone. i think it should be all the same for every state.
    Gen2 BOB JW850BB -Need balls to flip it-

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information