User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Thread: DESS Post??

DESS Post??

I have a 2002 GTX DI Ski. Here is my original thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=166890
    It has an intermittent no-spark electrical problem.
    I have it into a second dealer...they supposedly called Sea Doo today for help diagnosing the problem. So I'm kinda leaning towards-they don't know what the heck they're doing. But anyway according the Bombardier they should replace the DESS post. I do not believe this is the problem since every time the key is put on, it beeps twice and engages the starter. If the DESS post was bad I would think the starter wouldn't even engage- or the Info center would be blank. My other concern is that it seems like they don't have a spare post on hand to test with so they are just charing my $90 for a new one. Which seems like a lot. Am I crazy here?

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

Re: DESS Post??

Although the DESS post is not the only possibility, it can cause intermittent spark if it is no good.

I confer with Bombardier techs now and then when I am not sure of something in an effort to save myself some time or money. I think that is the responsible thing to do to help save the customers some money, if possible. Dealerships have a technical rep from Bombardier at their disposal to use when they are not sure about something.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

I am doubting that the Dess post is bad- wouldn't it not even try to start? Either way I told them to just replace the stupid thing, I won't have to pay for the post if that doesn't fix the problem. However if it is what has given me he double L for the last few months I will be like WTF?!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex1049
    I am doubting that the Dess post is bad- wouldn't it not even try to start? Either way I told them to just replace the stupid thing, I won't have to pay for the post if that doesn't fix the problem. However if it is what has given me he double L for the last few months I will be like WTF?!
    I have experienced it & there have been several posts/threads about the same thing.

A DESS post is a electrical item & can & will stop working at any given time.
    Mikuni Carb Service/////////Offering Repairs on all Mikuni Carbs///Cleaning/Rebuilds/Freeing up Sticking Throttle Shafts & Accel Pump Repairs

PM for Info. 25 Years Experience

I dream skis

The problem is that vibrations cause the DESS post to think the key is removed once in a while. With the engine stopped there's no vibration, so the post works fine.

I had the the same thing happen with my SPX.
    '97 SPX
    '94 XP

Well surprise surprise the DESS post didn't fix the problem...still no spark. They are now telling me the mpem is bad. As Bill O has told me, an MPEM should either work or not work...so maybe it is still good because sometimes it still gives spark? Can I pay someone to test my mpem??? I don't have spare parts to test things with...and this stupid dealer apparanely doesn't either. Maybe I am going to try a third dealer.
    Living with a 2 stroke isn't always easy...neither is a boat..

Thread Information