Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Stern Drive overheating at idle - some of you have to own boats too

Probably better sites for this - but I just like this forum so much.

I have an OMC stern drive 5.0 liter on a '95 Four Winns.

This weekend started running hot at idle speeds or in slow forward but on plane or faster temps would drop to middle of range right away. Any idea what might be causing this. Have seen mention of impeller, exhaust blow by into cooling water, etc. Not one to normally wrench on this boat, looking for some PWC guys who also own boats who might know........

Thanks

Re: Stern Drive overheating at idle - some of you have to own boats too

It is your water impeller on the drive shaft. It is worn out and not pumping as much water as it should. It is part number 34 on this site.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6C3R3.PDF

This is a Merc but the OMC is very similar.

Any OMC dealer should have a kit for this as most of them have the same size part. If you have worked on your car you should be able to change this yourself. Have a friend help you because the lower unit is heavy and hard to put back on by yourself.
    "Insert witty comment here"
    AWA member since 2003

Where are you located? I am right on the border and have a shop in Elkhart, IN. We make it to St. Joseph every weekend.

On your problem, it sounds like your water pump impeller is going out. On that boat, you should have a alpha series drive made by OMC similar to mercrusier. The water pump impeller is located in the lower portion of the drive and it needs to be separated from the top have for disassembly.

Give me a shout, todd@syn-ind.com if you need someone to work on it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Synergyracing; 07-07-2008 at 10:13 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

PWCToday Regular

Thanks guys for the reply. I am in Northern Michigan so the Elkhart IN won't help but thanks.

So you have to drop the drive to fix this impeller? That is surprising. Anyway it is an OMC drive, not Mercruiser.

How does that work that it will cool at higher speeds and not low speeds?

Thanks and I will look into the impeller.

Mike

that drive is not like a mercruiser, and you will be very dissapointed of you go about working on it like one. good for you is that all you have to do is remove the cover on the drive, and you water pump is right there. you dont have to pull the drive, or seperate the halfs. If your looking at the drive there are two bolts on the top, and one on the bottom, and remove the plate. The plate runs vertically on the the drive. you will see what i mean when you look at it. the water pump is in a black housing with a small hose coming off it. three bolts hold it on as well. omc drives were great for stuff like this. if your water pump impeller has been damaged, and parts are missing you will need to go to the engine, and clean the debris out of the power steering cooler. its on the back of the engine, and the hoses from you power steering pump go into it. remove the hose that is coming from the outdrive, and clean out the parts. there is a screen there, so it cant go anywhere else. there are several things you need to check though. exhast manifolds, and risers. these are good for 3-5 years max. if they start to clog, you will expierence overheating, then when they give way your engine fills with water. they are easy to check. you can unbolt the riser from the manifold, and the passage ways will be right there. if they are clogged then you might want to consider replacing them. a good rule of thumb is that you should be able to hold you hands on the top of the exhaust risers at any time, and they should only be warm. then there is always the thermostat. if you do have to change the water pump, MAKE SURE it is properley sealed. change all the gaskets, and wear plates. i would put some sealant on the gaskets as well. if you dont it will pump if the boat is not on a plane, but as soon as you get up it will overheat. pm me if you need any other help. good luck.

39 is the cover i was talking about. waterpump housing is 30, and the impeller is 24. you can see the rest of the gaskets, wear plates, and o-rings. if you are looking at is drawing. on part 22. that is the last gasket. do not breakdown anything else. 46, and 35 are part of the outdrive. you have a omc cobra. the only thing they have in common with a mercruiser is that they hang off the back of the boat. shifting, shimming, breakdown, ect, ect. are all different. even the way you fill it with oil isnt the same.

PWCToday Regular

Thanks JTugwell - I knew I could count on this forum. Any explanation why this happens at idle speed and not on plane?

Pump impellers are typically hard rubber and wear over time or lose blades. That's also the reason you always hook up water muffs or other water source to outdrive to start it on the trailer...water lubes the impeller and prevents overheating/damage from dry friction. A worn/damaged impeller won't pump well at low RPMs but will provide more flow at higher RPMs.
    I'll quit before I sit~~~

http://www.AlexOfHouseWorx.com

PWCToday Regular

get the impeller kit omc only no after market ones also check your heat exchanget or cooler cuz a over heat at idle could also be that when was the last time a impeller was put in it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information