Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

1997 Tigershark Bendix replacement - question

Hi: I am new to PWC's and I'm new to this forum. I bought a package of two 1997 Tigershark's, a 770 and a 1000. Although the seller started them for a second at HIS house, the very first time I tried to start them at my home, the 770 would not start.

The starter actuates, but does not engage the bendix. It whirls, spins, or whatever, but the PWC does not turn over.

Reading this forum points to the need for a new bendix. I found one on eBay and I'm in the process of installing it myself. I read one of your posts where it explained the replacement the bendix, but I have a question.

The front cover has a plug that unscrews to verify fluid levels. When I removed the front cover, only a very small amount of greasy, thick liquid rested in the bottom of the cover. Am I supposed to add anything other than a lot of marine grease to the bendix itself? Am I supposed to add any oil, lube, grease, or any other lubricant to the inside of the cover after it is reinstalled?

Please reply if you can. Thank you.

Richard
    Regards,
    Richard
    ArcadeNut@aol.com

Blog Entries

Re: 1997 Tigershark Bendix replacement - question

add nothing.. its a timing inspection hole

I use just a little moly or synthetic grease to the bendix and reassemble it. Clean the crud out of the bottom of your front cover and make sure it makes a watertight seal when putting it back together.

Also remove the bellows under the starter and plug the hole. Then go out and thrash it!!

PWCToday's first Tigershark owner Moderator
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    I can hold up my hand and point to where I live. Can you?

before i installed my new bendix in my 1100, i think i sprayed it down with wd-40 just for ****s and giggles. I don't know if it helped any but, it can't hurt i guess. Fluid Film would work even better.

btw, i used a graphite grease made by polaris that i found at the dealer.
    Region 6

Shark Bait
    My race boats:
    1999 Tigershark 1100R (ret.)
    Novice 1200 Stock
    1996 XP
    800 Limited/2 Stroke Limited

2015 Achievements
    1st Place Overall 2 Stroke Limited on the CWA CanAm Tour
    7th Place at World Finals Am R/A 1000 SS
    7th Place at World Finals Pro-Am 1000 SS
    Thank you to my sponsors: GoPro, AMSOIL, Riva Racing, Incase, Shorai, ODI Grips, and Ryno Power.
    Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TripleLRacing/

PWCToday Newbie

Thank you for the replies. I've installed everything and will try to start it tomorrow.

Richard
    Regards,
    Richard
    ArcadeNut@aol.com

Blog Entries

fwiw, the starter gear or bendix can sometimes be resurrected by soaking it in diesel for a few days or some oily/gasoline mixture. Work it a bit and it should be good to use again.

PWCToday Newbie

Guys, about how long am I looking at to replace the bendix on my 770? Very mechanical, not a newbie, just don't see many tigersharks or if I do, they don't normally need the bendix replaced.

Regards,

Blog Entries

Well, you have to remove the front cover. I sold my tigershark long ago and don't know how much room you have in front of the engine. Once the front cover is off, you will need to remove the flywheel with a puller. Then, take the bendix out, replace it with a new one, reinstall the flywheel, replace the front cover (make sure it seals back up so you don't get water in the front cavity), then go have fun. Length of time is dependent on many factors, but plan for at least a couple hours if not more.

I recommend checking out this thread on it:

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=431345
    Last edited by slag; 08-26-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duricekauto View Post
    Guys, about how long am I looking at to replace the bendix on my 770? Very mechanical, not a newbie, just don't see many tigersharks or if I do, they don't normally need the bendix replaced.

Regards,
    Save yourself the cut and busted knuckles..... go ahead and pull the engine. While out you can inspect, tighten, replace, rebuild, etc.... things you can't normally get to with the engine in place. In the long run you'll be glad you did. Considering the shark's age, it would also be a good time to remove the 2-cycle oil injector pump and go to a 40:1 pre-mix fuel. Be sure to cover the hole where the pump was mounted (or leave pump in place with oil lines removed) as well as block off oil injection points on the intake manifold.
    ENGINE REMOVAL NOTE: Be sure to mark location of motor mount shims (if any) and reassemble in like fashion.
    '93 Sea-Doo GTX
    '94 Montego
    '94 Sea-Doo GTX
    '94 Yamaha VXR
    '95 Daytona
    '97 Montego DLX

Frequent Poster

I got mine out in about an hour. Had to make a flywheel puller, that time is not included in the removal time. My mag housing was 1/2 full of water. After the cover and flywheel off, the starter bendix out, it was a rusted mess, I soaked it in PB blaster, for a couple days and got it to move but had to take it apart to really clean it. Found a broken spring, so I had to get a new one. I have a great auto electric place here that repairs starters and alternators, they got me a new bendix for 56.00.

I got some CorrosionX http://www.corrosionxproducts.com/corrosionxpage.htm to spray inside before buttioning it back up.

I am also going to drill and tap a fitting in the bottom of the cover to attach a hose so I can easily check and drain any water, also flush if it gets wet.

I agree with removing the bellows, I am going to attach a hose there also with a plug in it, leading up to where I can get at it.

I would NOT pull the motor to do this UNLESS you have other issues to deal with. You will need a mirror to put down in the boat so you can see what you are doing.

Some have suggested filling the cover with 2 cycle oil, I would not recommend doing that, it takes a lot of horsepower to turn the flywheel in all of that oil, it will also make the oil foam and there will be less air space for expansion with things warm up. Maybe just enough to touch the bottom of the flywheel when it is stopped, then it will be thrown all around inside on start up and the flywheel will not be running in oil. I am just going to spray the inside CorrosionX and keep track of moisture inside after each ride.

Good Luck,

John
    Last edited by hemmjo; 08-28-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information