Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Welded Crank vs. Unwelded

Does anyone have an opinion regarding welded crankshafts? I have always replaced my cranks with Hot Rods but I am looking for a cheaper alternative. It seems that some crank rebuilders weld the pins to the counterweights and some do not.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: Welded Crank vs. Unwelded

A new crank cheaper than Hotrods....I dont think you will find one.

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=160656
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Guy; 04-24-2008 at 11:12 PM.

PWCToday Regular

Good of you to reply to my post Dan, but I would have hoped that someone with your experience might have an opinion regarding a welded crank vs. an unwelded one. I am currently doing a complete rebuild on a 787 in a '96 GTX. The guy that had it before me let it sit too long with water in the engine. Although I was able to get it free and rotating smoothly it has rust build up on the counterweights so I am going to replace it. I have purchased a couple of rebuild kits in the past from Playtime Powersports in Florida for a 580 and 720. Both of these kits came with a new Hot Rods crank. They however are not offering the kits with a new Hot Rods crank any longer. They do however offer them with a rebuilt welded crank. That is why I am asking about welded crankshafts. If anyone wants to put a package togehter for me and send me a quote be my guest. Regards, David

Doesnt really matter for a stock/rec ski,or a modified one for that matter,its kinna like cheap insurance.

The 800 NEW Hotrods cranks are $360 plus $30 extra for pin welding. ProX pistons are $105 each & prices are going up on ProX.

If you can find it cheaper...buy it.

Resident Guru

Aren't Sbt cranks cheaper and welded?

Welded is better

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SeaDooSource's Avatar

I personally don't like welded ones but that's because we also occasionally rebuild them and welded ones are pretty worthless to rebuild and a real pain just to get apart. I don't know about how SBT does things, but if we were doing a large amount of rebuilds I would refuse a welded crank as a core. I recently disassembled a couple Hot Rods cranks and wasn't real impressed with them either. I don't know if it's the case on all their cranks but I had several core cranks here I bought from a rebuilder and no two had the same brand of bearings on them as well as different rods. There must have been a sale on parts or something. For stock apps, a pressed together crank is fine in my opinion. I would more worry about what goes into the rebuild. What kind of bearings, seals, rods and how it's trued as well as how it's shipped. A perfectly trued crank can be out quite a bit by the time it gets to your door if it's not packaged well!
    Last edited by SeaDooSource; 04-25-2008 at 03:15 AM.
    OSD JetPump Rebuild Service here
    Heavy Duty RFI & DI Rectifier Upgrade here

Everything you ever wanted to know about Mikuni carbs here
    Complete Single & Dual Carb Rebuild Kits with OEM Mikuni Parts here

Quote Originally Posted by woollums
    Aren't Sbt cranks cheaper and welded?

Welded is better
    Yes they are cheaper but they are not NEW they are REBUILT.

That is an excellent price from Waterworx, All I run is Hot Rods cranks. No problems and there easy to rebuild

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

SDS,
    Welded crankshafts are not difficult to rebuild at all. It takes only a minute or two to grind the welds off and statrt pressing the crank apart. It is only a problem if the guy who welded it is clueless and overdoes the job.

If the crankshaft is new and an oem crankshaft, generally speaking, there is no reason to weld the crankshaft as the pins fit plenty tightly into the porkchops on the crankshaft. When a crankshaft has been subjected to corrosion, or if it presses apart and even slightly scores the pin boss bores in the porkchops ( aka, counterwieght flywheels of the crankshaft ) then welding is the only way to stablizie the pins.
    Some of you probably think that welding a crankshaft will ensure it will not twist, but nothing could be further from the truth. As you cannot weld the center pins of a cranksaft, only the rod pins, a loose fitting center pin is vunerable to twisting, and this is especially true if it is a three clyinder crankshaft. A very badly rusted crankshaft core is sometimes not rebuildable at all if the corrosion is too bad around the center and rod pins.

Generally, I will pay the extra money to get a crankshaft welded when rebuilding it just for the added protection of having the rod pins welded.
    I don't even worry about that with a brand new crankshaft.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

If the crank is a big deal with twisting, why doesn't it come out of the factory not welded then? If it is "preferred" by a lot of people... Also does a backfire cause these to come out of alignment? or what would cause people to weld the crank?
    The Big Lebowski:
    Is it being prepared to do the right thing, whatever the cost? Isn't that what makes a man?
    The Dude:
    Sure, that and a pair of testicles.

1992 Seadoo SP
    1996 Yamaha Wave Venture 700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information