Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Spark Plug Bad Symptoms

I know this has been covered a million times, and I know I've read it a million times... BUT... I felt for the first time last night what a bad set of spark plugs feels like on a friend's ski.

Thoughts:

1) You would NEVER guess it's the spark plugs.

2) Idle was perfectly smooth

3) Acceleration was perfectly smooth until 3500rpms

4) Ski felt like the turbo charger had seized up as just when you would "expect" boost to come up... it was just dead. Like only the first 1/8 - 1/4 throttle did anything. Anything past that just felt dead.

Having plenty of experience with fouled spark plugs on 2-strokes, airplane engines, etc... I NEVER would have guessed this was a fouled plug, but I swapped them anyway for my spare set. (Everyone does keep a spare set right? ) New set of spark plugs and it's back to running 100% again. I just can't stress enough how much this doesn't feel like bad spark plugs. The only reason I tried new ones was because of the posts here.

Anyway, lessons learned:

1) Tell your friends who own Honda's not to start them / shut them off right away.

2) Always keep a spare set of plugs

3) When in doubt use the spare set of plugs even if it doesn't FEEL like bad plugs

4) Make sure you collect your $56 bux for a new set from your friend after giving him your backup set. And yes I ordered a new backup set last night.
    Current:
    2003 Kawasaki SX-R 800 with FP wet pipe
    2006 Sea-Doo RXP (stock)
    2006 Sea-Doo RXP (minor mods)

Past:
    2000 Yamaha GP1200R
    2004 Honda R-12X with Macboost stage 2

Re: Spark Plug Bad Symptoms

1) You would NEVER guess it's the spark plugs.

2) Idle was perfectly smooth

3) Acceleration was perfectly smooth until 3500rpms

4) Ski felt like the turbo charger had seized up as just when you would "expect" boost to come up... it was just dead. Like only the first 1/8 - 1/4 throttle did anything. Anything past that just felt dead.
    I bought mine used and the very first time I put it in the water went through the same exact scenario. Luckily I did bring a set of new plugs but like you said, It sure didn't seem as if they were bad. They didn't look bad either but when I installed the new ones, the ski came alive like none I've ever ridden. Of course I'd never ridden a turbo ski before this one so I didn't know what I was in for but I always have a spare set now and won't hesitate to change them when in doubt.
    03 Honda F12X (my favorite) Red of course
    Jim's Alpha Boost kit, H2O ECU Modulator, Large Intercooler, Solas intake grate and Impeller

Used to have:
    98 GP760, 97 GTX Sea Doo, 97 GP1200, 02 Honda F12X

Need to have:
    F15X

Moderator Moderator

Thatís one of the reasons I donít use the stock ignition on a Nitro Stg 1 kit. Too weak IMO.

After much testing and trial and error a 4 channel CDI was picked. 4 channel only because I wanted to control all 4 cylinders individually and not a group as the stock ECU does.

That said, my Stock Honda skis are fine as built.

Shawn
    Nitro R12x-F12x and F15x Stage 1 Fastest Kits available Stg 2-3. Big Turbos, Pistons, Ride plates, Intercoolers, injectors, Cams, Head work, Valve spring kits and more Info? email me at SgRacing8@gmail.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JR IN JAX's Avatar

I was going to say that there are only two kinds of sparkplugs in most of the Hondas, ones that are bad, and ones that will soon be bad.

Shawn beat me to it in a more technical way.

BTW my current plugs have over 100 hours on them, it must be a fluke since I never got more than 30 hours before my boost adjustment valve, which surely made it run leaner.
    JR
    '06 Pilot NAVI
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    2 Vento Phantom 150s
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc 2.5 SS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

I've managed to get 61 hours thus far out of the original plugs on mine... but I won't ride without having a spare set at least somewhat nearby. Does anyone know if there is ANY other spark plug that doesn't cost $12 bux a plug that will fit and work in this thing? I really hate the idea that these things can trash fifty bux worth of spark plugs so easily. Funny part is that this never seems to happen on the RXP's and I can buy a whole set of their copper plugs for less than the price of ONE R-12X spark plug... ironic.
    Current:
    2006 Sea-Doo RXP (stock)

Past:
    2000 Yamaha GP1200R

Brian,
    If it helps any, you can order them from Advanced Auto Parts for about $10.
    The only substitutes are even more expensive.
    JR
    '06 Pilot NAVI
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    2 Vento Phantom 150s
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

Yeah, I tried that before and got a response a day or two later saying they couldn't fulfill the order... it was weird.
    Current:
    2006 Sea-Doo RXP (stock)

Past:
    2000 Yamaha GP1200R

PWCToday Regular

Where is the best place to buy these spark plugs. I assume it's part number NGK IMR9D9H ?? Advance Auto's website shows them for $18.99 each.
    '06 F-12x first in service '08
    '06 R-12x first in service '08
    '00 Laveycraft 24 NuEra cuddy open - 502 Mag
    '96 Blaster B1 (retired)
    '89 Kawa 550 Jetski(retired)
    '81 Kawa 440 Jetski (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by lovnlife
    Where is the best place to buy these spark plugs. I assume it's part number NGK IMR9D9H ?? Advance Auto's website shows them for $18.99 each.
    For some reason the price Advance charges in California is almost double, try sparkplugs.com.
    JR
    '06 Pilot NAVI
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    2 Vento Phantom 150s
    Jax. Fl.

Plugs should last hundreds and hundreds of hours. Dont crank the ski unless you plan on running it until it fully warms up. If they do foul, they can be cleaned with a small wire brush.

The honda engine when cold requires lots of extra fuel to run.
    Last edited by SuperMAC; 04-16-2008 at 08:16 AM.
    MACSBOOST!!! The Honda PWC Performance Experts. www.MacsBOOST.com
    Home of the MACSBOOST Module and the Fastest Honda PWC on the planet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqufmQ_8bxU
    Be our friend on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MACSBO...e/233077830901

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information