User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yamaha Wavejammer?

I just wanted to throw this out there.....I found a smokin deal on a couple of 89 yamaha wavejammers with a double trailer for $700 dollars. I own a couple of 550's and wanted to pick up a sit down for my wife. I know next to nothing about this craft and was just wondering if anybody could give me a little information about how they are. All I know is that both skis run and they have 500cc engines......so I cant imagine them being that fast. My wife does not do the stand up thing at all, so this would take care her. Are they junk......kind of fun.....top speed.....hard to get parts??????? Lots of questions. Thanks all.
    1989 js550 (mint)
    1986 js550 running poorly

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home tshank123's Avatar

Re: Yamaha Wavejammer?

I think they're just plain ugly.
    ティム

Put a triple in it!

Well they are very inexpensive.....and i am not on a new ski budget....yet. Any other feedback besides they are ugly would be very helpful though. I agree with you tshank123 that they are not the best looking things on the water..........
    1989 js550 (mint)
    1986 js550 running poorly

The jammer was never a big hit on the showroom floor but if they run and your wife will have fun on it I think you should go for it. For $700 you cant go wrong. You break down the price and its like $250 each for the jammers and $200 for the trailer.
    Im not sure what market value is for them right now but I saw one for sale last summer for $1200, and last time I drove by it was still there.
    For $700 I dont think you can go wrong because If your wife dosent like them you can always re-sell them and probably make a few bucks.

Have fun!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ko2's Avatar

I love the jammer..fun ski......But for a novice not such a great ski....First of the jammer is extremly unstable at low speed & not easy to reborad untill you get the hang of it.....The ski also has a very hard time staying hooked up in even light chop..makes for a ruff ride........As for top speed on its best day a jammer will run about 30mph tops on glass flat water........Now the good news you cant kill them..that old 500 will run forever......Also the jammer is the king of the flat slides.....Get that baby cranking as fast as it will go & jack the bars in one direction....The ski will slide like its on ice..........As a small lake fun ski the jammer is great.....On a big lake or the ocean the ski just gets slammed around......Good luck !!!
    Last edited by ko2; 03-10-2008 at 03:22 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WaveDemon's Avatar

I really want to try one in the surf.
    Me > You

Stop asking stupid questions and just get a SuperJet...

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by WaveDemon
    Come to TX for a free ride, we usually have ours there. Of course, it has a 701 in it now.

Someday I swear I'm going to put a 144mm pump in there.

And wisco440, try a search on this forum and the yamaha forum, there's actually a few threads on this.

And don't forget to try the vintage section, too. I'll see if I can find a few. I usually just put in "Jammer" and that'll find it.

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...ghlight=jammer
    Last edited by Odd Duck; 03-10-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Frequent Poster

This was my reply to another person asking this same question about a single Jammer he found for sale. The price for your pair is good if they run, especially since they come with a trailer (worth around $200 as others stated).

"There are multiple threads on this topic, do a search. The Jammer is fine as a starter ski, but is not going to hold your interest long in stock form. It is a bit difficult to mount (harder than a standup), but easier to ride once up. It is fairly heavy and definitely slow, especially with the 500. The motor can be upgraded with only minor difficulties, I have a 701 in mine. The pump is a severely limiting factor. It is a small pump, same diameter as an FX1 (122mm I believe) but the pump design is different and less efficient than the FX1 pump. It handles the 701 OK, some cavitation, but definitely doesn't get the power to the water efficiently. Someday, I'll actually get a larger pump into the Jammer and I'll let you know how it works.

The Jammer can actually be a fun boat for doing silly tricks on flat water, it's not good at aerial stuff with the 500 in it (barely gets out of the water). With small surf (up to 3-4') it's fun, it can handle bigger surf with the 701 (I've had it in 6' surf) and becomes a fairly fun boat in the surf. It stays upright and lets a less skilled rider still have fun in the surf in conditions when a standup would beat the shiet out of them. Most people would be shocked at how much air I can get on that thing in the surf. It's not going to set any records, but enough to make it fun for a more average rider.

Would I recommend it for most people, no, if it's what you can find and afford, go for it and upgrade later. That price is not bad if the ski is running, way too high if it's not. I personally, would try to talk them down a bit, it is NOT a highly sought after ski."

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WaveDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Duck
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDemon
    Come to TX for a free ride, we usually have ours there. Of course, it has a 701 in it now.
    that is tempting. can I wear a mullet wig and an orange pfd while doing aerials on it?

.... and I'm going to need to video it too.
    Me > You

Stop asking stupid questions and just get a SuperJet...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ko2's Avatar

Odd Duck,

Please post some pics of your jammer with a 701.......I would love to see under the hood....As for a pump the 144 should bolt right up...no ??? I have often wondered how a jammer with some power would fair in the surf.......Would love to see some pics !!! Thanx !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information