Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: ****2008 PWC/Safe Boating Classes****

****Pennsylvania****

With Pittsburgh smack in the middle of three rivers, it is imperative that area boaters obey the rules of the waterways.

The Unites States Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 7-8 is holding a boating course in Crafton this weekend.

The course, titled "America's Boating Course," is set for this Saturday at the Craftonian Hall on Division Street.

The course will be offered from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., and the cost is $30 (including lunch).

"America's Boating Course" is a joint project between the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary and the United States Power Squadrons.

The auxiliary itself is totally volunteer, composed of civilian members, and it has been in existence since 1939.

The non-profit organization specializes in search and rescue, public education, vessel examinations and examinations of privately owned vessels. Flotilla 7-8 is an individual unit within the auxiliary.

Jim Feeny, of Coraopolis, who will be teaching the upcoming class, is an instructor and vessel examiner for the Flotilla division 7-8, which is based on the Beaver River.

Feeny, originally of Chicago, started boating in 1947 on Lake Michigan. He moved to Coraopolis in 1966.

The beginner class offers the knowledge needed to obtain a boat license or safety certification in many states, including Pennsylvania.

Many boat insurance companies will offer discounts on boating insurance to boaters who successfully complete the course.

Feeny, who obtained his instructor certification in 1993, has instructed classes of 20 to 60 people in various areas, including the marina in Glenfield and local schools. Flotilla 7-8's area of responsibility is from Sewickley down to Steubenville, Ohio.

"We teach the 'Rules of the Road,'" Feeny said.

"There are traffic signals and signs on the rivers and this is what we teach the people. We also teach people how to go through the locks. You can't go into the chamber unless you have a line. The lock tender has to let you in."

The boat and water safety course topics include boating law, boat safety equipment, safe boating and navigation.

By law, anyone born since Jan. 1, 1982 needs to obtain a boating safety education certificate issued by Pennsylvania's Fish and Boat Commission in order to operate anything with more than 25 horsepower or any wave runner, jet ski, or personal watercraft.

Anyone born before that date, still needs a certificate, but only if they are going to operate a personal watercraft.

"People need the basic knowledge of boating," Feeny said.

A second "America's Boating" course is scheduled for April 26 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the Craftonian Hall.

To register for either upcoming class or for further information, contact Jim Feeny at 412-269-1892.
    Gateway Newspapers.com
    Skipper: Kowalski, analysis.
    Kowalski: I'm picking up good vibrations.

**The information obtained in my hurricane thread is courtesy of NOAA, National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.**
    Liquid Militia*****K38 Water Safety*****

****Texas****

Boater safety course set for April 19 in Rusk

Ahoy thar matey, iff’n ya don know the proper way to weigh anchor, you’ll be a-walkin’ the plank — or possibly get cited for a Water Safety Act violation.

Not to worry, though, Cherokee County Farm Bureau is offering a one-day boater safety course, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, April 19, at Southern Cherokee Federal Credit Union in Rusk.

“This is the perfect opportunity to learn how to be safe on the water,” CCFB secretary Rhonda Robinson. “It’s good for area youth to learn proper boating etiquette, too — the sooner they learn, the sooner it can carry over to the next generation.”

Cherokee County Farm Bureau will provide lunch. Registration is $28 per person. RSVP by April 17 by calling CCFB secretary Rhonda Robinson at 903-683-2576.

Some citizens are mandated to take the course. They include anyone born after Sept. 1, 1984, and under 18 years old. Anyone falling into that demographic must take a boater safety course to operate a personal watercraft, according to the Texas Parks and Wildlife. People convicted of a Water Safety Act violation will also need to take the course.

Those interested in registering for the course will need their Social Security cards and a picture ID. Student ID will work for anyone under 16 years of age.

According to a report found on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department’s Web site, Texas had 47 boating fatalities in 2006, surpassing 40 for the first time since 2002, when the state led the nation with 61.

“Most of those tragedies were preventable, since on average 85 percent of boating fatality drowning victims who drowned were not wearing a life jacket when recovered,” the TPWD Web site states. “Men ages 18 to 34, who are at the greatest risk of drowning.”
    Jacksonville Progress

**The information obtained in my hurricane thread is courtesy of NOAA, National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.**

FYI for West Virginia PWCers!

DNR cracking down on young boaters who skip safety training

BECKLEY, W.Va. (AP) -- Young West Virginia boaters who avoid mandatory safety training are being targeted by the Division of Natural Resources.

A 2001 state law requires anyone born after Dec. 31, 1986, to have at least seven hours of training and carry a boater safety certificate when operating a boat or personal watercraft. Violators face fines ranging from $20 to $300, plus court costs.

DNR officers often issued warnings in previous years but plan to come down harder on violators this year, said Sgt. W.W. Brogan, a DNR conservation officer.

"It's the same as driving up and down the road without a driver's license,'' Brogan said.

Personal watercraft operators often tell conservation officers they left their card in their car or at home, he said.

The crackdown stems from a high number of boating accidents, particularly involving boaters who have not taken the course, Brogan said.

The course is offered free of charge and boaters can contact their nearest DNR law enforcement section office or a local conservation officer.

"Unfortunately our law enforcement people say a lot of these classes are not well attended,'' DNR spokesman Hoy Murphy said Saturday. "I don't know a reason for that. Maybe we still haven't gotten the word out that these boating classes are required now.''
    Charleston Daily Mail

PWCToday Newbie

http://www.myspace.com/lake_houston_pwc_club.

I/We are strong on the newbies of the boat and PWC world taking courses to learn how boats function, rules of the road and proper and polite boating. With a long history of both USCG boating and civilian boating and yachting experience and seeing what I have seen in my past I strongly back any boating education of any type, esp for the younger group who I see on the water every weekend in near misses and not aware of two words SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. Thanks guys, just my two cents and a link to a myspace page in an effort to connect with others in our world. Thanks for everything.
    Last edited by kingwoodf12; 07-17-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    Kingwood F12
    Cruising the West Fork!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/lake_houston_pwc_club
    fficeffice" />>>

Closing this thread.

I'll be posting classes as they come to me for the 2009 season!

Captn---

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information