Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

****2008 PWC/Safe Boating Classes****

Hello all! I hope everyone had a fantastic holiday season! Now that 2008 is here, so will be safety classes for PWCs and boats. In most states a safe boating class is REQUIRED in order to operate a PWC.

In this thread, I'll be posting upcoming classes so check back once in awhile as states offer their classes at different times.

Ride hard, ride SAFE!

Captn---
    Skipper: Kowalski, analysis.
    Kowalski: I'm picking up good vibrations.

**The information obtained in my hurricane thread is courtesy of NOAA, National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.**
    Liquid Militia*****K38 Water Safety*****

Re: ****2008 PWC/Safe Boating Classes****

****FLORIDA****

One-Day Safety Class Offered For Boaters

BRANDON - The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 74 Brandon will play host America's Boating Course from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. either Saturday in the training room at West Marine, 1516 W. Brandon Blvd., or Jan. 26 at Power Source Marine, 10909 U.S. 92 E., Seffner.

Bruce Duncan of Power Source Marine will provide a lunch of fried fish, beans, coleslaw and drinks for those attending the class Jan. 26.

The course will target people considering getting a boat, new boaters, those who have been away from boating and need a refresher course, boat passengers who may be called on in an emergency and boaters 21 years old or younger. Minors are required by law to complete such a course before operating a boat or personal watercraft by themselves.

Topics of safety, navigation, boat handling, weather, emergencies and correct usage of a boat trailer will be covered. Those who successfully complete the course and exam will receive a boating identification card that may be presented to insurance companies for possible discounts.

The preregistration fee for each daylong course is $40 for the first person in a family and $35 per person for additional family members. "Program fills up fast!" said Robert Lowry, public affairs officer for Flotilla 74.

Registration and prepayment can be done at www.cgaux74.org or by calling the group's public education officer, Pat Kurtz, at 1-800-704-4216 or by e-mail, fsope @cgaux74.org.
    SouthShore News & Tribune

**The information obtained in my hurricane thread is courtesy of NOAA, National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.**

****CALIFORNIA****

Boating course focuses on safety

STOCKTON - The San Joaquin Delta Power Squadron will offer its boating course starting at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 12.

Classes will meet at Tully C. Knoles School at 6511 Clarksburg Place in Stockton.

The course consists of two classes and is open to those age 12 and older. Boat ownership is not required.

A $50 fee covers the cost of a syllabus and plotting tools. The syllabus can be shared with family members, and there is no charge for instruction. Students can register at the first session.

Topics include boat handling, docking, anchoring, navigation aids, trailering, weather and engine troubleshooting.

The U.S. Power Squadron is a nonprofit organization that promotes and teaches boating safety. All boaters and personal watercraft operators are invited to attend the boating course. For more information, call (209) 957-4058.
    RecordNet.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home seats's Avatar

Is a class REQUIRED in Florida?

Is a safe boating class required in Florida? Does anyone know FOR SURE?

Re: Is a class REQUIRED in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by seatsR4toilets
    Check out your state's requirements here: http://www.nasbla.org/education_requirements.htm

Re: Is a class REQUIRED in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by seatsR4toilets
    Yes, depending on the circumstances...

The 2007 Florida Statutes

327.395 Boating safety identification cards.--

(1) A person 21 years of age or younger may not operate a vessel powered by a motor of 10 horsepower or greater unless such person has in his or her possession aboard the vessel photographic identification and a boater safety identification card issued by the commission which shows that he or she has:

(a) Completed a commission-approved boater education course that meets the minimum 8-hour instruction requirement established by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators;

(b) Passed a course equivalency examination approved by the commission; or

(c) Passed a temporary certificate examination developed or approved by the commission.

------

(6) A person is exempt from subsection (1) if he or she:

(a) Is licensed by the United States Coast Guard to serve as master of a vessel.

(b) Operates a vessel only on a private lake or pond.

(c) Is accompanied in the vessel by a person who is exempt from this section or who holds an identification card in compliance with this section, is 18 years of age or older, and is attendant to the operation of the vessel and responsible for any violation that occurs during the operation.

(d) Is a nonresident who has in his or her possession proof that he or she has completed a boater education course or equivalency examination in another state which meets or exceeds the requirements of subsection (1).

(e) Is exempted by rule of the commission.
    Here's the full statute:327.395 Boating safety

Hope that helps!

Captn---

****Colorado****

Get onboard with boat safety

Did you know . . .

* There is an average of 50 boating accidents each year in Colorado.
    * In Colorado, the average boat-liability claim is $17,074
    * One in three boaters don't carry insurance.

Getting Onboard With Boating Safety at Denver Boat Show

Can Prevent Boating Accidents This Spring

Allstate champions Safety Weekend Jan 17 to 20 featuring Lifejacket giveaway for children

Denver, Colo. --Each year, there are an average of 50 boating accidents on Colorado waters, resulting in about 11 fatalities each year. To help bring that number to zero, Allstate will hand out complimentary lifejackets for kids 12 and under at the Denver Boat Show this weekend.

"Allstate is committed to championing safety and raising awareness of the potential risks that boaters face," explains Susan Youngs, Allstate sales leader for Colorado. "Boating is a great family leisure-time activity, yet there are many hazards out on the water that boat owners may be unprepared for. This is why employing safe practices, like wearing a lifejacket, are so important."

Other boaters, water-sport enthusiasts, unforeseen inclement weather, and objects submerged underwater are just a few examples of the hindrances boat owners often navigate. One of the biggest risks of boat ownership is not the physical damage to the boat itself, but rather the potential for more serious accidents to happen out on the water, such as colliding into another boat and causing injury to others.

According to Allstate's watercraft-line claim files, the national average boat-liability claim through Oct. 31, 2007 was $17,100, or nearly five times higher than the average physical damage claim, which was $3,800. In Colorado, liability claims averaged $17,074 and physical damage claims averaged $4,052for the same time period. Some real-life situations that have set up boat owners for hefty payouts include: a boat striking a kayaker or people swimming in a lake, causing personal injury; or a person being towed by a boat on an inner tube falls off and is injured.

On average, one out of every three boats out on the water is not insured since boat insurance, unlike car insurance, is not mandated by law. "This alarming finding leads us to believe that many boat owners are unprotected for the unexpected, which is why the right insurance coverage is so important," explains Youngs.

Allstate offers boat owners a policy endorsement for Uninsured Watercraft Coverage for an additional premium to help the insured boat owner protect himself from getting stuck with the bill. Without this policy endorsement, each boat owner would be responsible for their own repairs, regardless of who was at fault. Allstate premiums for boat insurance average $300 a year nationally, which is an affordable expense when compared to the average liability claim.

Allstate representatives will be on site at the Denver Boat Show offering show goers free insurance quotes and answering insurance-related questions. To find out more about Allstate Safety Weekend at the Denver Boat Show please visit www.boatcolorado.org.
    YourHub.com

PWCToday Newbie

I want to take a course like this and it will also give me a discount on insurance. But what courses are legit? And can you do them online? I live in Olympia, WA

Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain
    I want to take a course like this and it will also give me a discount on insurance. But what courses are legit? And can you do them online? I live in Olympia, WA
    Hi there RX! You can take an online course here at PWC Safety School.com After you take and pass the test, here's what you need to do to acquire your card...
    For your Washington boater education card, fill out the application form and send it along with a copy of the downloadable certificate and $10 (check or money order) to:
    Washington State Parks & Recreation Commission
    Boating Programs
    P.O. Box 34333
    Seattle, WA 98124-1333

You will be issued a Washington State boater education card within 2-3 weeks.
    Ride safe!

Captn---

****New Jersey****

United States Coast Guard Teaches Safe Boating

TOMS RIVER - The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Toms River Flotilla 16/3, in cooperation with the Toms River Regional Schools, will begin on February 26 a basic course in the essential of safe boating. The course will be conducted by qualified Coast Guard instructors. This course includes an introduction to boating, boating laws, safety equipment, boat handling, navigation, trailering and storing, boating problems and more.

This course is free but is limited to 50 students, so please register early. Please call 732-270-0783 for information and registration. The cost of materi- als is $50. Successful completion of this course will qualify students for a NJ state certificate. All personal watercraft operators are required by state law to pass a safety course. Boat operators, under the new law of January 2006, born after December 31, 1948 and on or before December 31, 1958, have to take the course before June 1. All other persons born before December 31, 1948 need to take the course before June 1, 2009.

Classes will be held at the Toms River Intermediate East School, North Cafeteria on Hooper Avenue each Tuesday from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. for five weeks.
    Toms River Times

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information