• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitesurfer
    PWCToday Regular
    • Jul 2007

closing of Hugenot park to jet ski's

I have no idea where to post this. I posted here because I know there are at least two on the forum from Jacksonville. It's kind of late notice, but numbers and groups need to be represented. The plan is to stop driving on the beach.

On November 14 at 7 PM there will be a meeting to discuss the new management plan for Huguenot Park in North Jacksonville. This plan will affect any and all users of the park and its beaches. Anyone who fishes, surfs, kitesurfs, rides a jet ski or just plain likes being able to go to the beach with the family should attend this meeting. Anyone with a disability that needs the use of a car to get to the water should also get involved. Some of the discussed plans possibly include permanet restriction of beach access for cars and people. there is a rumor that part of the plan might include a pier across the "pond". I am told that the group of people who want to control the future management of Huguenot Park consist mostly of wildlife conservationists. The city is being pressured to set limits on the number of people per day and the entrance fee may be raised as well. This past Summer poeple driving through baby birds on the beach has given them plenty of ammunition in the effort to close large areas of the park to both people and cars. The beach was already closed on the outside for a distance of 800 ft. up to the end of August. That means access to the north end of the park will be non existant if the access is lost on the inside as well (part of the new plan). A good compromise is possible but if there is no opposition to restrictions we may lose most of the access to the park. Your attendence is important. Nov. 14 7PM @ the Ribalt Club on Ft. George Island. Take Heckscher Dr. north from 9A or North from the ferry or South from Frenandina. About 1/2 a mile north of the ferry is a big brown sign that shows the road to the club and Ft George Island Plantation. Follow the signs to the club. Let everyone you know who likes Huguenot Park know about this meeting. See Don Smith's e-mail for better directions and check out the post on kiteforum.com "Huguenot Park Management Plan/ Access loss"
  • GASSEM
    I dream skis
    • Apr 2006

Re: closing of Hugenot park to jet ski's

ew that blows. I tell ya, those freakin environmentalist. Don't they know that in 30 years (with global warming) Huguenot Park will be under water anyway. We ought to enjoy it now! Seriously, that would be a real loss, I ride out there at least once a month. Its the best place in Jax to go.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and mental illness.

Comment

• Jetaddict
      Frequent Poster
      • Oct 2006

These environmentalists are all for making sure things stay nice and clean. Fine. But what good is it if the common people can't even USE it to ENJOY it??!!! Who gives a fu** about it then?!
      I never leave crap behind when I ride, I never litter, I never spill gas or oil in the water , and I am conscious about it. I can still enjoy and love the areas I ride, but I would never dream of telling American citizens where and when they can go to enjoy nature.
      If the birds are endangered or protected, then someone needs to make the effort to relocate them.....don't shut the place down for some birds.
      2005 Kawi SXR-Blowsion /Hydroturf/UMI/ODI/DaKine/Rule/Versiplug
      http://www.youtube.com/user/jetaddicts

Comment

• kitesurfer
        PWCToday Regular
        • Jul 2007

there is another meeting tonight at first coast highschool on duval Station road. they're going to 'discss' the new changes before sending them to the army corps. 7pm-thur-2/28/08

Comment

• 123easy$
          PWCToday Newbie
          • Feb 2008

damn, what are doing to the jetties?

Comment

• pwcmutt
            PWCToday Newbie
            • Mar 2010

Is Hugenot closed to jet ski's again this year? I was planning to head up there for Memorial Day but I dont want to waste a trip if I cant drop the ski's in.

Comment

• kitesurfer
              PWCToday Regular
              • Jul 2007

today, hugenot is still open for ski's. a pile fence has been added to the ocean side to prreven driving up to the point. dogs are no longer allowaed in the park. monday , june21 is another community meeting with the city and the bird watchers. the birders are trying to get hugenot closed to beach driving TOTALLY. but the makeshift launch at Alimacony (under the bridge) is still open.

Comment

• turbokrebs
                PWCToday Newbie
                • Jun 2010

By far my favorite place to take the ski. Went last weekend and you can still get to the channel on the bridge side if you go left when it splits to go around the family area. Defiantly not a fan of all this news, not only would it take a really fun beach away from the people, but the park would loose a lot of business.

Comment

• kitesurfer
                  PWCToday Regular
                  • Jul 2007

i rode over there last saturday. there were no vehicles of any kind on the point. I was in my car on Hecksher drive looking in from the rocks and the place looked deserted. maybe rules changed, I don't know. for sure many people have found other place to go. I launch at the public ramp by the ferry and shoot through the swamp by the sand dollar restaurant and hit the jetty's via alamacani...

Comment

• turbokrebs
                    PWCToday Newbie
                    • Jun 2010

Yeah man, it defiantly sucks. Launching on the beach isn't too bad, pulling it out is the hard part. Lately I've been dropping off accross the way at that boat ramp.

Comment

• ramosacc
                      PWCToday Newbie
                      • Aug 2010

Yeah, but the ramp across sucks too when the tides are low! Nice place anyway!

Comment

• Melmack
                        PWCToday Newbie
                        • May 2008

Maybe you guys can fill me in. I used to launch from the ramp by the bridge about 10 years ago. It was a long idle out but the best place to ride ever. Only problem was the Jackarse water cop 'Napoleon' that gave me a ticket every time I rode for some new made up rule. Is that idiot still there or did he get a life and move on. I moved back to Texas and the parks and wildlife guys here even knew of him. Next time I come to Jville, I plan on hitting the surf out there on my stand up. Is that guy gone?

Comment

• Markpcso
                          PWCToday Newbie
                          • Jul 2011

Does anyone know the current status for skis at Hugenot? (allowed or not) I don't live in the area and trying to find a good place to put in at? Is this a place where you can launch right from the beach? If anyone also knows about any rules they can pass on to me that would be great too. thx.

Mark
                          1997 GP1200
                          1997 GP760

Comment

• leejax01
                            PWCToday Regular
                            • Apr 2011

Huguenot is still open to skis being launched from the shore. The Alimacani boat ramp is also open.

Comment

Working...
                            X