Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I dream skis

Socal Website Club Updates

Hi Crew.

Dave (FXHO) here. I wanted to relay some information and get some feedback on the members section of the website.

I am planning on revamping the members page on our website. I WANT and NEED your feedback, because it is a job I really only want to do once.
    What I mean by this is......it takes a long time to have to resize about 100+ pictures so I want to nail it the first time.

I have become unhappy with the members page because although we have ALOT more members now, the page has become very long and slow to load...and unattractive. I mean who wants to be the last member entry on the page?

I was thinking we could have a list of people's names that are then hyperlinks to their profiles. But then this would just be a names page without pictures.
    Currently the heights of the pictures are standardized to 300 pixels tall by a proportionate width..is this good? bad? speak now. How many pics should each member have?

Also what order should we go with Alphabetical and then if we use alphabetical do we go by screen names or real names or what?

When we agree on what the picture sizes should be I was hoping then as people make new submissions, they might be able to resize to my criteria, and then email me the pictures in a certain size (saving me the resizinng time).

As it stands the largest photos displayed on the website (NOT profile pics)is 640x480 which is plenty large for website usage.

Like I said before the reason I am asking now is because I do want to revamp, and it will take some time to build individual pages.

Our members page is US! and it really needs a refreshing.
    Thanks in advance.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: Socal Website Club Updates

I think you've got an excellent idea on revamping the member's page. It would be better to have seperate pages for members/families linked to the main page names. That way people could include more info if they wished. It would also make updating and changing the main member's page much easier.

I think it would be good to have the pictures standardized if possible. If people have a hard time resizing either Young or myself could help you out. I don't think they need to be huge, 640x480 is OK, I think 800x600 should be the max. Massive pictures just take forever to load and then you have to zoom back out to view them anyway, it's a pain. I hate it when somebody posts a huge picture and you have pan all over your screen to view it.

It seems to me that you might offer 4 pix max at 640x480 or maybe 2 at 800x600 for the individual pages with an area for a Bio or other info.

I was thinking that it might be nice for people to include their favorite places to ride so other's viewing the site could see who might ride at the same place they do.

As for the ranking, alphabetical is fine and whether people want to use their real names or a screen name can be up to the individuals. I think it's kinda nice to have both if folks aren't shy.
    2003 F-12 - Riva splash guard, Boarding step
    2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
    SoCal Watercraft Club member
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

Screen names in alphabetical order with a valet size picture of every body’s choice reflecting their personality. Be creative! Use this as a link to the individual profile page with additional pictures and information.
    Great idea BTW.
    Governator

'04 Yamaha FX 140
    '04 Honda R-12
    AWA Member

Member of http://www.socalwatercraftclub.com/

I dream skis

I had my wisdom teeth pulled out yesterday and I am flying high on Vicoden, with a couple of days to fool around.

Here is what I have...
    If we have a page that lists names and then provides a link to individual pages how large do we want the pics on the "directory page next to names"?

Here are some examples using Pirate with the associated sizes, we can also go somewhere in between. Remember we will have links to your own pages (I will create). But the key is at a glance for people to see "Who is Pirate?" what does he look like etc. without have to scroll down 7 pages.

Left to right is 100,150,200,250
    This represents pixel height.
    We utilize height and NOT width because people have varying width pictures but we want even spacing vertically.
    Thanks.

PS. We are currently using 250 on the website...is half that feasible? 125?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FXHO; 11-09-2007 at 06:20 PM.

resident guru

Quote Originally Posted by FXHO

Here are some examples using Pirate with the associated sizes, we can also go somewhere in between. Remember we will have links to your own pages (I will create). But the key is at a glance for people to see "Who is Pirate?" what does he look like etc. without have to scroll down 7 pages.

Left to right is 100,150,200,250
    This represents pixel height.
    We utilize height and NOT width because people have varying width pictures but we want even spacing vertically.
    Thanks.

PS. We are currently using 250 on the website...is half that feasible? 125?
    150 will be fine.

As for "Pirate Who" until he becomes famous and legend then he will get his own pages.
    Last edited by younggtx; 11-09-2007 at 07:27 PM.

On My POLARIS or On #721 We don't mess-around

Quote Originally Posted by FXHO
    I had my wisdom teeth pulled out yesterday and I am flying high on Vicoden, with a couple of days to fool around.

Here are some examples using Pirate
    Vicoden, any extra?

My pixel looks good in any size
    pirate33's flag had neither skulls nor bones, but simply an arm wielding a sword signifying power
    2004 Polaris P3 Matrix 200-
    Yup thats right its "Casper the Matrix" the Long Beach 2 Cat 2008 Class 2 National Offshore Endurance Champion
    LordBlack Racing #33 Kawasaki Ultra 250-
    2009 Mark Hahn Vet Master Endurance Champion
    Member AWA SoCal Watercraft Club
    http://www.socalwatercraftclub.com/
    http://pwcoffshore.com/Home_Page.html
    http://www.diablojsa.com/

250 minimum
    "It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

#89 RUDE Performance

I dream skis

John, just to confirm you would get nice big pics on the website when people click your picture, but your Directory Pic would be 150.

Does this sound good? or still not?

I dream skis

Ok last thing....go to the website, click socal club members, then click Dan Ketchpel link (the only one I have done) there you will find examples of 800x600 and 640x480. Which one looks better for the page? I don't care either way as it is no harder to use larger or smaller. Once I get some feeback of which one works better, I will go to work on the revamp.

Thanks.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

That looks good to me. The size of the image on the first page doesn't need to be very big, either 150 or 200 is fine.

As for the image size on the second page, 800x600 is good if there's enough room to put the bio near it, maybe on the left or right side? Otherwise on the top or bottom is fine.

For me, I'd opt for 4 smaller images rather than say 2 larger ones. I want to have an image of each of us then a couple of us together in different riding places, one salt & one fresh water.

Just my 2 cents.
    2003 F-12 - Riva splash guard, Boarding step
    2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
    SoCal Watercraft Club member
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information