• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brad_P
    PWCToday Regular
    • Mar 2010

Re: Need More Louisiana Racers

Sounds great i may get into the beginner class, It is stand up? I also may try and get my bud with the superjet to get into this aswell. The park you are talking about is along side of i10 with the water slides? What all do i need gear wise? A moto helm, gloves, and what else?

Comment

• Limitedski
      PWCToday Guru
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by vandalais View Post
      I was looking at the map on the National Tour thread and noticed that there are no racers in Louisiana. There wasn't a weekend that went by that someone on Lake Pontchartrain didn't ask me if I wanted to race. Well I got tired of that and decided to race next year. So instead of going in a straight line, try taking a turn around a bouy or two and join APBA and go raceing with me next year. If my old lame a$$ can do it so can you. After all you don't want a 46 year old grandfather representing your state do you?
      I'm on Lake Ponchartrain 6 days a week. My friends and I have a 12 buoy course set up. We dock at the end of West End blvd. just past Coconut Beach volleyball courts. (17th Street Canal). Weekdays at 5 p.m.. Sundays at noon. Black Denali truck and a white Nissan truck with 360 Home Improvement on the side. Come ride!

Comment

• JoeyD232
        I dream skis
        • Aug 2009

Thats it Brad:

Its a RV park with Two slides right off IH 10 in Rose City..... As far as practice goes we ride with helmets and shoes for sure. They dont allow glass bottles, But its also a fishing lake so its good to be carefull..... You have to pay a lake fee for like 5 dollars for the day and if you wanna use the boat ramp you can pay a launch fee or We can put your ski in the water too.
        As far as the begginner races go... YES its ski division ( there is a beginner runabout too ). Get your superjet buddy to come begginner is usually one of the best races to watch because you guys are new at it and when one falls down the other passes then catches up then falls.. I know that sounds bad but it is so much fun.... You are allowed to run begginner the whole season if you choose to run more of the R5 series. So Its not like you get one chance then your out there with seasoned racers you have a whole year to advance your skills and speed with people of your same experiance level.

Safety equipment for racing is Moto style Helmet.... Life jacket..... Gloves... Shoes... Go to Academy and buy you some asics or nike wrestling style shoes... they last the longest and are not that expensive... Bring some race numbers that will show up on the side of your boat ( White or Black ) or if you wanna a race number plate here is a web site with some examples for SXR'S and superjets... WWW.EXOTICSIGNS.COM . Oh and the last thing bring some strong rope ane some 200 mph tape. You have to have a tow loop of the front of your jet ski. I will try and find you some examples.....
        RIVA RACING
        HYDROTURF
        MAXIMA RACING OILS USA

sigpic

Comment

• Brad_P
          PWCToday Regular
          • Mar 2010

What ski mods can you have for beginner?

Comment

• JoeyD232
            I dream skis
            • Aug 2009

Ill try and post the limited rules for you:

That really doesnt matter though what most people do to help their handling on the course is add an aftermarket ride plate... with an aftermarket scoop grate. Then they switch handle bars to 0 degrees( helps with turns) and new grips. Last they take the stock air box off and add air filters. ( like a K & N set up ).

That is what I rode in beginner and did great. You can also add an exhaust stinger and a pipe, but then you have to re jet the carbs and get and aftermarket prop and you really dont need all that just strating out.....

If you want some advice on what parts and where to get them,, message me.. I will put you in touch with the right folks.
            RIVA RACING
            HYDROTURF
            MAXIMA RACING OILS USA

sigpic

Comment

• Brad_P
              PWCToday Regular
              • Mar 2010

So at the first stop in baytown in early may will be the first place to race beginner? Do alot of people enter beginner class?

Comment

PWCToday Regular
                • Aug 2007

brad, if u wants a guarantee first place beginner is for you, but if u r a little good on that ski, then go for the challenge, novices. there will not be many in that class too.

Comment

• jman89
                  PWCToday Regular
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by vandalais View Post
                  You may even see the Depends logo on the side of the ski, ewww.
                  In Lake Pontchartrain that's a very fitting sponsor.

Comment

• Brad_P
                    PWCToday Regular
                    • Mar 2010

Ive took my ski out 7 times since i got it two weeks ago, ive progressed alot with turns and highspeeds in chop my only concern about it all is that i dont have any buoy experience. I dont want to enter beginner and it be a cake walk but at the same time i want to be able to hang in novice. Does boomtown currently have there buoys out, if so im down to go run them with someone this weekend. Also would like to meet some of you guys so you can fill me in a little more on all this.

Comment

PWCToday Regular
                      • Aug 2007

brad, if u have one or two rider get some buoys and runs time in. heck runs it by yourself if no one show up. get to know how ur ski handle. we will be riding buoys in next month. we joyride the river alot too if u in the area give us a shout. oh there mine be a race in july23-25 at the dock in gulfport,ms it will be bigger than baytown IMO

Comment

• JoeyD232
                        I dream skis
                        • Aug 2009

Brad:

Sorry for the long time away. We have not gotten a permanent course set at Boomtown due to alot of fisherman would assume they belong to the lake and so set trout lines in the river with them. lol... I would run beginner. There should be at least one other skier there in beginner the first race of the year. Either class you choose to run will be free for your first race. The Novice will be combined with Amature riders which is second and 3rd / 4th year riders. Brian and the R5 staff give you a very detailed course orientation and give you a seperate riders meeting to go over all the rules, flags, cousre starts, turns and so forth. Once I get done with my honeymoon and get settled back in at work I will have my weekends mapped out of when I can go ride. Unfortunatly thats only the weeken before the races which I plan to go to genes and ride.

You should make plans to be in BAYTOWN at Genes this saturday, There will be some junior riders and pro am riders there and they can give you some question and answers and you can get used to the water.. If you do wanna go call me. Ill be working days all weekend but can help u get there over the phone its real easy its just off IH 10... 409-466-5897......

Also , I would agree with 97... There is a better demographic for FL. MS. and AL riders in Gulfport. Obviously Its more of a drive but they have some good racing there I here. R5 is growing and looking for more riders to come to the races as we did 2 years ago... Bottom line any jet ski race is fun no matter where it is..... You can also contact the promotor personally His name is Brian leave him a message 214-498-3592 good luck...
                        RIVA RACING
                        HYDROTURF
                        MAXIMA RACING OILS USA

sigpic

Comment

• Brad_P
                          PWCToday Regular
                          • Mar 2010

Im not gonna be able to make it that far out this weekend, but will be riding the lake here. Is a wetsuit required, i have one but i broke the zipper 2 weeks ago. Between now and then do you have any free weekends or days? ill come over to your neck if so, and we can ride a bit..

Comment

• JoeyD232
                            I dream skis
                            • Aug 2009

No,

A wetsuit is not required, but helpful if its cold. Man, usually I would be out at boomtown by now either during the week or weekends cause there is not much traffic on the water yet. I just got married a month ago and I will be going on my honeymoon in a week. I also have to finish moving my wife in before I get some seat time. I do plan on riding at least twice before the first race to help some friends out for the start of the year. I wont be at the races, Im working nights...
                            I should be able to ride the 2nd and 3rd weekends and week 17th to 20th. Hope that helps. Your asking good questions, do you think you can get your superjet buddy to come as well? Trust me you will get plenty of time to practice if you go on Friday night when they finish the set up of the course or if you need time to get with on Saturday morning they will work with you in enough time ot get the races going. They wont just throw you out there. get in touch with Brian, he will let you know whats going on.

Otherwise yeah, we can ride this summer. I buy bouys at Gander mountain in Beaumont in the boating section. Academy has bouys but they are the hard orange ones and they are expensive. You will see our set up when u come over to ride.
                            RIVA RACING
                            HYDROTURF
                            MAXIMA RACING OILS USA

sigpic

Comment

• Brad_P
                              PWCToday Regular
                              • Mar 2010

Have fun man, i dont think i can get my friend to bring his superjet. He still has to bring it to the shop, register it and get insure it.

Comment

• JoeyD232
                                I dream skis
                                • Aug 2009

Looks like there's a guy in Austin who has a blaster just got an older super jet and is considering racing. I told him about you and lets see what he says. Looks like the beginner class is gonna be good. SJ vs.SXR so far. Now all we need is somebody with a Octane and its a manufactor battle again.
                                RIVA RACING
                                HYDROTURF
                                MAXIMA RACING OILS USA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X