pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Very descriptive line routing with pics js550

Alright Im not sure that my line routing is proper. I have attached pictures in order for the next guy looking for line routing on their kawasaki jet ski... descriptive words for search engines being used.

PLEASE POST HERE ANY PROBLEMS YOU SPOT!

If this goes well enough maybe put in the bible? Ive spent a lot of time on this please help make it right and help everyone else as well.

Please try and copy (ctrl + c) and paste (ctrl + v) this for easy refrence.

Pic1 Gas tank line routing

Pic2 Line coming from left rear of engine bay and small hose off back of exhaust

Pic3 Head cooling line and clear tube on exhaust

Pic4 Carb side shot... Extra question I want to remove my rev limiter do you plug where the line goes in? And on the rev box do you plug that as well?

Pic5 right side of pump... My pump was said to be drilled and ported for something I cant remember (its a 440 pump 550 ski)

Pic6 Not sure what this is. Please explain.

Tired of beating my head against the wall
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home MrSki's Avatar

Re: Very descriptive line routing with pics js550

Not going to go picture by picture here but I'll give you enough to make sure it's set up right.

Your pump is drilled for 2 cooling lines into the hull. They should both be on the left side...the line on the right side of the bulkhead is the stock bildge line and you should have some lines and a little plastic pump/pick-up right under the drive shaft bearing housing.

The water goes into the engine at the bottom of the exhaust manifold. With dual lines, you should have 2 lines in the manifold. Since you have 2 lines going into the engine, you should have 2 lines out of the head.

Usually, one goes to a hull side pisser and the other, in your case of exhaust systems, goes into the bottom of the elbow. Then off the top of the elbow, the 1/4" line goes to the left side hull pisser.

The 1/2 pipe has a line where water inside the pipe's water jacket exits and goes to the stinger...just like it is now. If you want to dry out the exhaust a little, you can tee this line to a side hull pisser but it's probably not a big deal for this boat.

That should be it for the water side.

Fuel side... for stock, you have 2 lines coming out that go to the dashboard reserve fuel selector switch...then one line out to the carb. The carb return goes to the rev limiter and that little 1/8" line to the carb is the rev limiter...it pulse extra fuel at high R's to flood the motor and slow it down (say fouled spark plug). Then from the rev limiter the return line to the tank. Finally, there is a vent line with a check valve. It allows air in and keeps the fuel in. Where the other end of this line goes makes no real difference but stock, it runs abut 1/4 way up the handle pole. It looks like the choke is still there so I wont comment on a primer line.

My recomendation is to lose the stock fuel lines and replace with poly urethane. Cap the "on" tap and run the "res" tap right to the carb. Trash the rev limiter and install a plug in the return line with a .03" hole in it...you need to restrict the fuel return when you pull the rev limiter. The vent valve can stay as is. Oh yeah, you need a in-tank filter too and trash the OEM fuel filter.

My suggestion gives you the least amount of leak points into the fuel line - just two, one at tank and one at carb. Air leaks into the carb can seize a piston in a hearbeat. Also trash the plastic fuel pick up tubes in the tank and get SST ones. I have seen these plastic tubes leak and seize pistons.
    1992 550 SX - R&R port Kawi Reed, Kind of fast.
    1989 JS 550 - PJS motor Dual 46's, 50 MPH on GPS.
    1986 JS 550 - Engine built. On to fiberglass!
    1976 JS 400 - Pretty much just a shell.

You are the man Mr Ski Thank you.

Reguarding the back of the coffman pipe 1/8" outlet can it be plugged or must it flow out? My head was very cool to the touch when I went and ran it but the aluminum pipe was just crazy scorching hot...

My boat does not seem to bildge though the line on right side of pump is hooked up. As well as at bildge filter.

The line coming out of the head is going to a fitting on the front side of the exhaust manifold. Is that correct?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home MrSki's Avatar

The PP motors with the jet power exhausts had a line off the front of the head to the bottom of the elbow, yes that is correct. On the reed motors, they moved the outlet to the rear of the head and made a new molded rubber line...same basic plumbing.

The top of the elbow has the 1/4", not 1/8" line. This is actually the kawi jetpower elbow, not part of the coffman 1/2 pipe. You really don't want to block this off as you will 1) reduce flow through the motor and 2) this will build pressure inside the pipe's water jacket and piss more water into the exhaust stream, reducing high RPM performance of the pipe. There is a .09" or so pisser hole drilled through the coffman pipe into the water jacket from the exhaust side. You need to take the pipe off to see it.

If the aluminum pipe is getting too hot, it is likely the upper elbow gasket did not get changed. Stock, this gasket blocks most of the water flow. With the 1/2 pipe, water needs to flow through this gasket, all the way arond...not just that one bleed hole. I'll post a picture so you can see what I mean.

As far as you bildge line, take the lines out inside the engine bad and clean them...maybe blast the hose from the front to the rear and blow out the line inside the hull too. That should make the bildge work again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1992 550 SX - R&R port Kawi Reed, Kind of fast.
    1989 JS 550 - PJS motor Dual 46's, 50 MPH on GPS.
    1986 JS 550 - Engine built. On to fiberglass!
    1976 JS 400 - Pretty much just a shell.

Thread Information