Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 96 XP fouling

PWCToday Regular

96 XP fouling

New to Ski's this year, bought 2 96 xp's in May. One ski runs flawlessly (well slight hesitation when going on throttle). The other ski runs great and then just fouls a plug. No rhyme or reason, sometimes while running moderate throttle, sometimes while just idling in a no wake, sometimes wide open hauling a$$. The Ski runs great and then just fouls a plug. The problem has progressively gotten worse to where this weekend I used 6 plugs in 1 hours time before I got frustrated and pulled it out of the water and went home.

So where should I begin, what should I be looking for. Again, newbie to ski's.

Thanks for any information or direction you can provide me.

Scott

PWCToday Regular

Re: 96 XP fouling

NoBody ???

AnyBody ???

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Have you been thru the carbs,changed all fuel lines ???

That would be were I would start.

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

Do the voltage tests on the batteries running and not running to see if the charging system is putting out the correct voltages. This can make a motor foul sparkplugs.

Also, never buy a used 10 year old Sea Doo and go ride it without cleaning the carbs and the fuel selector valves, as that sends so many motors to an early grave.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

PWCToday Regular

Bill, thanks for your information...........Is there a link anywhere or a how to to point me in the direction of checking the things you've stated. As I've said, Watercraft newbie here, so beyond adding gas an oil, I've not touched a thing.

Is cleaning the carbs as simple as just removing them, cleaning, and reinstalling? Will they need re-adjusted, how about the oil injector pump, any need to adjust that (scared of leaning that out to much). I'm willing and able to learn if someone points me in the right directions. As I said, it runs great, then just fouls a plug and sputters.

Info is greatly appreciated.

PS...........787, all stock as far as I know, couldn't tell you previous service records, ski's are very clean and excellent physical condition, look brand new on exterior though I know that has nothing to do with mechanics.

PWCToday Regular

Bill, also like to note it only seems to foul one plug, the front one. It will still idle and get me to shore, it will start without hesitation with the fouled plug, it just idles real rough. Change the plug and away she goes till the next time.

PWCToday Regular

If i were you i would not ride it until the carbs are rebuilt, gas lines changed, otherwise you will need a new engine instead! Check out the sticky on the top of the page there are service manuals available for you to download! Good luck.
    Greg
    A wise man once told me the 2 happiest day's in owning a boat is the day you buy it and then the day you sell it!!!!

Sometimes just clipping the sparkplug lead for a new connection at the sparkplug boot is all that is necessary to stop a sparkplug from fouling. This takes 5 minutes and costs nothing to do but a tye-wrap on the 'plug wire boot.

Sometimes it means the needle valves are leaking in the carbs or the compression is low on one clyinder...........or the exciter coils on the stator are weak. Guessing is a waste of time.
    Last edited by Watercraft Magic; 09-05-2007 at 05:07 PM.

PWCToday Regular

And I am just guessing Bill,

Thanks for your help, In your best guess "start here" recommendation, where should I go first?

I allready told you what I would check first, and it costs you nothing to test the voltage.
    Then I believe I suggessted to go through the fuel system.........

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information