User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Thinking Of Buying 4 Stroke.need Help!!!!!!!!!

Just bought 2000 yamaha 1200 this summer ,first ski and i love the sport.fuel consumption is high with this ski and thinking of trading up for more fuel eff.ski .just wanted to get some input.like the looks of the yamaha fx.but open to anything.like to cruise and also have power to get a little crazy. need help. thanks guys
    2000 YAMAHA 1200 XLlmt. waveeater clips and couplings (traded in)
    2007 YAMAHA FXHO

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: Thinking Of Buying 4 Stroke.need Help!!!!!!!!!

The Yamaha 4-stroke 3-seaters, FX / FX HO / FX HO Cruiser, have an even better hull-design and rough-water ride than your XLL or XLT and are WAY more reliable and fuel-efficient, and are (the HO's) a little bit faster in top form and quicker on the low end as well.

richforman

ride a Honda
    My Honda is slow

PWCToday Regular

I am riding my second 4 stroke... A 03 GTX Limited Sea Doo. 185 hp.

The 155 did get much better fuel economy than my current ski. (My previous was an 02 stock GTX.

If Sea Doo doesn't get its act together with the fuel issue I will, after 12 years of riding probably jump ship and buy a Yamaha. FX Cruiser HO, (similar to Rich's)

They get twice the fuel economy than mine. Also it is not even so the $$$ (although that obviously does help) it is simply the range. I get 60-63 miles out of a tank of gas where the Yamaha gets at least 120. (From what I read on the boards.)

I am not familiar with the Honda but have also heard they are very reliable.

Good Luck,

Carl

The 4 strokes out there are all great crafts but they all have plus and minus factors.

The Yamaha is a large boat but it still has a good top speed with the FX HO. They get great gas mileage and have a large tank. If you want to cruise on long rides this is the one that would fit well.

The Kawasakis have great mileage a little smaller tank but better hole shot. The boat is smaller and quicker but has about the same top speed as the HO editions.

The Sea doos have the same mileage as the other two as long as you don't buy the supercharged editions. If you do than you will reduce your mileage quite a bit. The non supercharged do very well and have a lot of storage but don't have quite the top speed as the other models. I believe they are tops on storage only being topped possibly by Kawis new LX and Ultra.

The hondas are nice but I don't really know that much about them. They seem to have limited storage. Top speed with the turbo only is great, the nice thing is even with the turbo you will still get good mileage.

The newer Kawis on the other hand have a lot of storage. The Ultra is rediculous with fuel consumption. The LX model should get almost the same as the STX models.

Hope this helps. Almost any of them will be better than your 1200.
    Ken (Treasurer)
    http://www.tampabayjetskiclub.com
    Don't miss Summer Ski Fest Tampa Bay 2012 Aug 3-5
    '08 Kawasaki 15f - still red because red is faster
    '07 FX HO Cruiser - the blue one because blue is prettier

'04 Kawasaki 15f - parting out since it broke a valve

Quote Originally Posted by R-12X shredder
    ride a Honda
    Gotta agree here, if you want low fuel consumption buy a Honda.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    1996 XP
    2007 GTXL

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by mirror
    The 4 strokes out there are all great crafts but they all have plus and minus factors.

The Yamaha is a large boat but it still has a good top speed with the FX HO. They get great gas mileage and have a large tank. If you want to cruise on long rides this is the one that would fit well.

The Kawasakis have great mileage a little smaller tank but better hole shot. The boat is smaller and quicker but has about the same top speed as the HO editions.

The Sea doos have the same mileage as the other two as long as you don't buy the supercharged editions. If you do than you will reduce your mileage quite a bit. The non supercharged do very well and have a lot of storage but don't have quite the top speed as the other models. I believe they are tops on storage only being topped possibly by Kawis new LX and Ultra.

The hondas are nice but I don't really know that much about them. They seem to have limited storage. Top speed with the turbo only is great, the nice thing is even with the turbo you will still get good mileage.

The newer Kawis on the other hand have a lot of storage. The Ultra is rediculous with fuel consumption. The LX model should get almost the same as the STX models.

Hope this helps. Almost any of them will be better than your 1200.
    Mirror:

What a great analogy of all the units... You should write for WW...

I am now packing in my 03 GTX SC and purchasing an 07 GTX non supercharged...

I couldn't beat the price and have been a Sea Doo owner for over 12 years now...

Carl...

i live in clear lake 20 min south of houston tx

i have had a couple of hondas i love it, try it

Steve K Moderator
    PWCToday Guru

I had a 2005 Yamaha GP1300R, very fast and fun. But the fuel that I went through compared to my friends on 4 strokes made me trade for a Kawasaki STX15F and it's like night and day!!!!!!! Things you may want to think about..... Price, type of fuel ie-87 octane or 93 octane, size of engine, and weight of pwc.... Hope it helps!!!! Oh yeah and the oil I had to buy every month...... Riding 75 hours a month can get costly...... Good Luck, Louisville River Rat

Quote Originally Posted by 1DAMDEER
    Just bought 2000 yamaha 1200 this summer ,first ski and i love the sport.fuel consumption is high with this ski and thinking of trading up for more fuel eff.ski .just wanted to get some input.like the looks of the yamaha fx.but open to anything.like to cruise and also have power to get a little crazy. need help. thanks guys
    I have a Polaris MSX 150 (4 stroke turbo), and can ride hard all day without running back to the gas pump! Another thing that will put a bunch of 'green' back into your pocket, is the fact that a 4 stroke will go for mucho miles (hrs) on one oil change (I think that Yamaha recommends 100 hrs between changes)...as opposed to pouring oil (e.g. your money) into every fuel load on a 2 stroke! Add to that the fact that the environmental whackos are 'loaded for bear' against 2 strokes, and it may just be that 4 stroke is the only option in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information