User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Early life battery failure

I know this has been covered extensively here but thought I would add some thougths. The battery in my 05 F-12 is dead. Wont hold a charge etc. This battery was taken out of the ski in October and put on a "trickle" charge for the winter in the basement. I think the charger I used although was supposed to be a plug it in and forget it type, over charged this battery. It was a Harbor Freight charger, I will still use on car batteries but I think that one doesn't have the brains to stop charging a small battery. I will be replacing with the Yusa from the dealer $90, and buying a Battery Tender Jr. based on reviews here.

Class Clown PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home thajeffski's Avatar

Re: Early life battery failure

i wouldn't spend 90 on a battery from a dealer.

go on ebay and get the gel kind.

Yep, a bad charger can cook a small battery. I would also do as ThaJeffSki suggest and get a Gel battery. I have always replaced my Honda batteries with one of these and they hardly ever would need charging. I ordered mine over the internet but like Jeff suggests, eBay has them, too!
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 07-30-2007 at 02:49 PM.
    Greg Gebhardt
    Jacksonville, Florida

PWCToday Newbie

dont buy anything from a Honda dealer. I found the same battery for $50 online while honda dealer was charging $120. It is just ridiculous how they overprice everything they sell.

making sure honduh riders get their fair share of shizz.

Gel batteries are junk, IMO. A Battery Tender will fry them too. I'd go with a lead/acid battery and a Battery Tender.

I also wouldn't count on from Harbor Freight to maintain anything that I depend on.

Why do we think that Gel cells are junk?

I have been using them for years and they way out perform any wet cell!

I agree that harbor freight chargers may not be good but I and most others will agree that gel cells are safer, more rugged and perform better than a wet lean/acid cell any day!
    Greg Gebhardt
    Jacksonville, Florida

I Agree With Jeff And Greg. The Gel Cells Are Great.
    2004 R-12X- MACS BOOST MODULE / MACS INTERCOOLER / SOLAS 17/29 / PUMP WEDGE / UNI AIR FILTER / AUTOMETER BOOST GUAGE/ BLOW OFF VALVE / GATOR GRIP MATS / HYDRO-TURF SEAT COVER.

!!!! STOCK SUCKS !!!!

Thanks for all the tips, I have only read great things about the Battery tender JR. anyone have any specifics on one overcharging and causing ELF? I should have known better than to trust something as important as a battery for the ski to a $5 charger..but live and learn. I broke down on water, totally sucked. I removed the battery and installed it in my buddies boat and used his system to charge it for a while, that got me back running and got me back to the launch but what a nightmare. The battery was dead when I checked before leaving home so I threw the charger on it for an hour before I left. I thougth sure it would charge while riding, which it did some but when I let it sit for a couple hours it died again...click...click...what a terrible sound when you are out. Luckily I was docked at my buddies boat so I didnt have to be towed etc.

Original Honda batteries don't need a charger. Just unhook the negative at the end of the season. Hook it up in the spring and go. 2 Hondas, 3 years, no problems.
    get a honda or buy a paddle
    2004 R-12 for sale $5000/no trailer
    2004 R-12X for sale $6000/no trailer
    Triton single place trailer $1000
    All of it with a stand for $11000. Both come with factory covers.

I have odessy gels in my '94 xp-'00rx for 3 yrs. & both are still goin' strong. Quick charging & they take the abuse. I wont leave home without 1. Also Napa sells PWC batteries now. You get them the next day if they don't have them in stock. Always treated me good. Peace;MJ6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information