User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Water leaking into hull

Hey guys, it's been a very long time since I posted. My Honda developed a water leak late 2005 and I finally found the source. The bilge pump always took care of the water but up until the leak started my hull was dry after a day on the water unless I was subbing the thing. I knew something was wrong and I take water leaks seriously. The water was coming into that trough in the bottom of the hull where the driveshaft goes through. There are two drain holes in the trough that allow water to drain into the bilge.

Here's where the problem was. There is a black plastic part that is glued into the hull from the tunnel that Honda calls a "driveshaft, guide". Evidently the worker that did mine at the factory didn't use enough glue. It held fine for 100 hours or so but it looks like the small amount that was keeping it water tight in the lower right corner broke off. There was tons of glue(or whatever it is) on both sides and the top of the driveshaft, guide, as seen from inside the hull, but the bottom(seen with a mirror inside the hull) had almost none. I sealed up the hole shown in the pic from inside the tunnel and so far she's bone dry. I posted this in case anyone else out there is getting water in the same area and didn't know why. The pic tells the story.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    First ride on my R-12X 5/22/03

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JR IN JAX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Water leaking into hull

The best way to seal up anything below the waterline is to clean up the area with MEK and then seal it with 3M5200 which is C.G. rated for below the waterline repairs.
    Both are available from Home Depot or West Marine.
    The cure time on the 5200 is 36 hours and there is a faster cure [5300 I think] that cures in 24 hours.
    JR
    Honda Pilot NAVI
    F150 4x4
    3 '06 F12Xs
    CR250
    2 CR80s
    1 XR100
    2 PW50s
    1 Vento Phantom 150
    1 Honda SHI 150
    '98 Allison Grandsport/Merc Racing 300 XS
    Jax. Fl.

"Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation"

"The automated aircraft of the future will have a crew of two; a pilot and a dog".
    The pilot is tasked with feeding the dog. The dog is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.

"Any ship can be a minesweeper,,, once".

Wal Mart also carries the 5200. That is some bad stuff. I almost could have just used that stuff to glue my boarding bar without bolts. It's that strong.
    07 Honda F12X Saphire Blue
    MacBoost, Large intercooler, solas intake grate and impeller.

03 Honda F12X Red

Jim's Alpha Boost kit, H2O ECU Modulator, Large Intercooler, Solas intake grate and Impeller

05 SeaDoo GTX 4-tec Supercharged

Used to have:
    98 GP760, 97 GTX Sea Doo, 97 GP1200, 02 Honda F12X, 2-03 Honda F12X,

Need to have:
    F15X

Frequent Poster

My 06 has 20hrs on it. Up until recently it was also bone dry and now I find a very little about of water in the hull after I ride. People on the board are telling me it is normal but I'm worried it is a leak. For all I know water is coming in, the bildge is taking most of it out, so it is hard to tell how serious it is.

How can I tell if it is a leak or just normal amount of water getting in from riding? Again, It was bone dry until recently?

PWCToday Newbie

Guess i had too much pressure going into the ski, I know it was on full blast. I've since put about 10 hrs on the ski and it's been bone dry everytime. I've hooked it back up to the hose with half pressure and not a drop in the hull. Thanks for you guys help. Since then we went to FL and went on a 45 mile round trip and ran great and not a drop of water!

I get about 8 oz. of water in the bottom of the hull in each of me & my girl's skis after we ride them on the choppy bay/Ocean and water comes up over the bow fairly regularly. I think it's from the crappy thin seal on the front storage bins that's basically "tangled up" and coming off. I have new ones on order so in the next week or so I'll see if that solves the problem.

I dream skis

I hope the new ones aren't all crimped and mashed up like mine were.They were so bad I couldn't use them but the parts guys refunded my money. They were shipped in a brown paper wrapping and were folded up and crimped.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Cole View Post
    I hope the new ones aren't all crimped and mashed up like mine were.They were so bad I couldn't use them but the parts guys refunded my money. They were shipped in a brown paper wrapping and were folded up and crimped.
    So bad you got your money back, huh? What'd you use instead to seal the front storage bin?

I dream skis

I went online to Metro Industries. looked up there ph# called and ordered some. Never said I didn't use anything, I just said I couldn't use the ones Honda sent. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Cole View Post
    I went online to Metro Industries. looked up there ph# called and ordered some. Never said I didn't use anything, I just said I couldn't use the ones Honda sent. Sorry for the confusion.
    oh ok, I gotcha.

Thread Information