Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Flywheel removal, 650sx

i snapped a ratchet trying to get the flywheel bolt off and rounded it with an impact gun. no good. i heated it up with a torch and it came off so easily i didn't even have to hold the other side of the shaft. that was before i realized i needed a puller to get the flywheel off. anyone need one??? flywheel or crank
    95' sxi. worx intake grate and ride plate, umi bars a and finger throttle, odi grips, digger footholds, hydroturf, factory limited, blowsion flame arrestors, paint and graphics.

So I have an 89 650 sx...trying to get the flywheel off.

Stuffed a rag in the exhaust port.

Center crank bolt loosens fine.

Applied the harmonic balancer puller with the center crank bolt backed out several turns... placed the shaft of the puller on the bolt and began cranking down on it. Seriously cranking and the flywheel is not budging. I have hit the center bolt with a hammer...nothing...
    I bought a torch...but where do I heat it? and do I need to be careful about overheating the electical parts (stator?) behind the flywheel?

Thank you in advance!!
    Last edited by HeDied4U; 08-03-2007 at 02:57 PM.
    Jason

I market for the world's largest U.S.A. owned energy drink! I can hook you up!

...in the pursuit of FREEDOM!!!

'89 Kawasaki 650sx

PWCToday Guru

If you only need to do it one time, just bring it in to the dealer and ask them to do it for you. it will cost around $30 for the 1/2 hour labor it takes them (actually 5 minutes, but they will charge you for 30)

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home tshank123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeDied4U
    So I have an 89 650 sx...trying to get the flywheel off.

Stuffed a rag in the exhaust port.

Center crank bolt loosens fine.

Applied the harmonic balancer puller with the center crank bolt backed out several turns... placed the shaft of the puller on the bolt and began cranking down on it. Seriously cranking and the flywheel is not budging. I have hit the center bolt with a hammer...nothing...
    I bought a torch...but where do I heat it? and do I need to be careful about overheating the electical parts (stator?) behind the flywheel?

Thank you in advance!!
    From experience, I can tell you that the trick is all in the setup. Make sure that the puller is as even as possible. Count threads, or use something to measure the distance between the puller and the flywheel from all angles. Also, make sure the big center bolt isnt offset from the crank. It takes alot of force, but it will eventually pop if you got it all straight.

You dont need to torch it.
    Last edited by tshank123; 08-03-2007 at 03:12 PM.
    High Speed Industries - http://highspeedind.com/

and here is the way i have gotten off EVERY flywheel that is stubborn before i got an impact gun. tighten down the center bolt as tight as you can, making sure it is lined up nice and even on the flywheel bolt, not the threaded area of the crank, leave the bolt in there just twist it out a few turns, this way you dont damage the crank end. then take a hammer and knock the hell out of the center bolt, then retighten... i promise this will get it off... i had one that an asetaline (sp) torch wouldnt get off and as soon as i tried this method it came right off.
    -chris
    1992 701 custom RN arm jerker

Thanks man!! You are a genius!!!

I took it to the shop...they did it for free....and I watched them do exactly what you said.

Yall Rock!!!

BTW....As soon as the flywheel was off the diagnosis was easy...
    one of the coils on my stator was fried! I think it happened when I
    accidently installed my new battery backwards.

Anyone got a new stator or the coils that fit on it??
    Jason

I market for the world's largest U.S.A. owned energy drink! I can hook you up!

...in the pursuit of FREEDOM!!!

'89 Kawasaki 650sx

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdoc0608 View Post
    and here is the way i have gotten off EVERY flywheel that is stubborn before i got an impact gun. tighten down the center bolt as tight as you can, making sure it is lined up nice and even on the flywheel bolt, not the threaded area of the crank, leave the bolt in there just twist it out a few turns, this way you dont damage the crank end. then take a hammer and knock the hell out of the center bolt, then retighten... i promise this will get it off... i had one that an asetaline (sp) torch wouldnt get off and as soon as i tried this method it came right off.
    -chris
    Can you elaborate on this ???
    Do you put the center bolt of the harmonic balancer puller pressing on the bolt that holds on the flywheel and then hit it with a hammer?
    I've never had a fly wheel removal problem until tonight !!!!
    Or do you just hit on the center bolt of the harmonic balancer puller when it's on the shaft?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

> remove the bolt before using the puller , > center the puller pin in the snout of the crank ,> tighten the puller with impact gun ,> tap with hammer if need be
    Last edited by hyosung; 06-26-2015 at 09:32 AM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

Worked - thanks!

Holy crap dude! This worked great I've been fighting. This thing for weeks. Some times just staring at it in the garage. Thanks so much. She'll be up and running this summer.

take a chunk of steel, cut three slots in it.

Back out the bolt holding on the flywheel about 5 or six turns,thread the threee screws into the flywheel, tighten them evenly against the bolt in the crank, tap on the center with a hammer a few times, itll pop right off. ( it takes a little to make the tool, but once its done, its free an works very well,)[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information