Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    resident guru

Double trailer tool box?

Anybody know where I can get a front tool box for my shorelander double PWC trailer? I've done a few searches on google but aren't having very much luck.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

My Naval Fleet...
    2002 GTI LE
    99 XP LTD
    96 XP w/ Ocean Pro FA's
    95 Kawasaki ZXI 750
    1986 Wellcraft Elite

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home seadoodude's Avatar

Re: Double trailer tool box?

yes, go to Lowes and get the inbed truck box. i installed it on mine and it works and looks great. I got the one designed to fit in the bed so it dosn't have the overhangs on each end.

then go to Target and get a couble of plastic storage containers to put stuff like ski ropes and life jackets for the wet stuff, and get a milk crate or similar box to hold you tools and oil in.

i looked at several boxes designed for trailers but they are not big enough to do much good.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...000&lpage=none
    Last edited by seadoodude; 07-12-2007 at 10:57 PM.
    (2) 98 GSXLs
    (1) 00 Challenger 2000

resident guru

good call, I was thinking about one of those and was going to take a look tomorrow. How do you mount it, I'm guessing place it on the trailer where you want it, drill from underneath and throw in some ubolts?
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

My Naval Fleet...
    2002 GTI LE
    99 XP LTD
    96 XP w/ Ocean Pro FA's
    95 Kawasaki ZXI 750
    1986 Wellcraft Elite

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home seadoodude's Avatar

i was going to use ubolts, but decided to go for a cleaner look. Used 1/4 in straight carrage bolts drilled thru trailer rails and inserted from the inside. I positioned the box on the trailer and marked the edges. Then I removed the box and drilled four holes thru the trailer rails. then put the box back on and drilled from below thru the holes in trailer up thru the box. I used carrage bolts inserted down thru the box , rubber washers (under and above box) to make the box water tight and tightened the nuts under the trailer.
    Last edited by seadoodude; 07-13-2007 at 01:03 AM.
    (2) 98 GSXLs
    (1) 00 Challenger 2000

I learned to stay away from the shiny diamond plate boxes, they look real nice but when you put your car or truck in reverse at night you can't see a thing with the glare they reflect
    a friend will bail you out of jail, a good friend will be in the same cell as you saying \"we f#(ked up\"

Frequent Poster

I have a Shorelander double PWC trailer that I bought used and it came with a built in box in the front with a sliding top. When I bought it, the top was not on the box, but rather in it. It didn't take me long to find out why. The whole thing submerges when you back the trailer in the water far enough to unload your skis. It then takes about 15 minutes for all of the water to drain out of the 1'2 inch drain whole built into it.

I have thought about replacing the bottom with steel grating, and just emptying it before I put the skis in the water. But for now it is just a big water pail.

Scrapman

I have what I think is a rubbermaid box on the front of mine with a 3/4" piece of plywood between it and the trailer frame. The plywood is the same size as the bottom of the box for support.

I went to Walmart (I hate going there), but did find a pretty good size plastic tool box (around 3' x 2' x 2' high). I just screwed it down with self tappers and rubber washers, and it has held up great, and doesn't take on any water. It was really cheap too.
    99 XPLimited
    99 GSXLimited

resident guru

Quote Originally Posted by AMP
    I went to Walmart (I hate going there), but did find a pretty good size plastic tool box (around 3' x 2' x 2' high). I just screwed it down with self tappers and rubber washers, and it has held up great, and doesn't take on any water. It was really cheap too.
    same here

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

A smart thing to do with any solid metal tool box on a pwc trailer is to install a false bottom to keep stuff off of the bottom of the box. I used a sheet plastic material that looks like a honeycomb in the cross section of it ( mostly just air pockets) with the honeycomb shaped pieces working as indivudal little dividers. This allow the "stuff" to sit up on top of the 2 inch thick sheet material, while water can be down at the bottom and drain out of the holes I drilled into the bottom of my trailer box. My "stuff" stays dry and air can circulate in the box to keep it dry and not rusting.

Occasionally, when launching a pwc, it is necessary to back it into the water so far, water is slightly above the bottom of the box. I just try to keep it less than 2 inches so my stuff stays dry. You could use a thicker material if you had to to move your stuff further up in the box, if necessary.

How many times have I seen people open their box to find rust stained life jackets and pwc covers..........
    Last edited by Watercraft Magic; 07-13-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information