Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: The (socal) Trailer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OldNSlow
    I'll take a single trailer off anyone's hands (or store it if I can use if for a while ) for cheap.
    You still need a single trailer? I have a nice load rite. I have to upgrade to a tandem trailer.

if you are going to need a trailer to haul 2 standups, and are on a small budget, i suggest getting a flatbed trailer 4x3.5 from www.harborfreight.com for $200 or looking threw craigslist for a used one and just put bunks on it. thats what i did to haul my 1989 kawi 650sx and my 1978 kawi 440. if u need to haul 3 standups on a budget, then get the 4x8 from harborfreight and put 2 skis towards the back of the trailer and 1 ski sideways up front. i have had my trailer for about 3 months and no problems so far. just make sure u buy buddy bearings for it and grease the hubs fitting behind the tire and the buddy bearings. and to save the lights, just make sure to unplug the trailer lighting before launching. if yall want, i can build u one of these trailers in about 2-3 weeks depending on shipping time. or you can buy my personal trailer. im located in dana point CA.

PWCToday Regular MeNaCe 2 SoCiEtY's Avatar

madman,
    got any pics of your trailer, i am considering doing this

yea send me your email address as i cannot figure out how to post pictures on here.

Wow this old thread shows the age of the club web site. I read through most of it tonight.

I just ordered new lights and connectors for my trailer. This is the third set in 4 years. The second set were LED but I think they lasted two trips before they stopped working. On the third trip, which was a long distance vacation trip, I couldn't get the LED versions to work and had to delay the start of the trip a day while I found and installed a standard type set.

On our recent trip to Pyramid another driver pulled along side to tell us none of the trailer lights were working. After a bit of debugging I found the right light wires were pinched and had broken internally. I was likely responsible as I did a quick install last time and didn't pay enough attention to routing the wires. Also the connectors on the van and trailer both were corroded. That didn't seem fair because I have a spring loaded cap on the van connector and I always spray connector cleaning and protectant on the connectors after every trip.

The lights currently installed have an internal bubble over the lights to make the water proof and it seems to have worked as there was no evidence of water incursion. Also this type was removable with a gasket around the base that would allow one to change the bulb should it blow. That is a nice feature but alas the problems were in the wiring and not simply the bulb.

Keeping the ground wire cleanly attached to the metal of the trailer is a trick too. My 4 year old trailer is showing a lot of rust as 80% of my launches are in salt water. The painted trailer will have to be stripped and repainted one of these days. In the mean time I'm going to run ground wires from the connector all the way back to the lights instead of relying on the trailer to act as ground. I'll still ground the trailer; I just won't count on it as ground for the lights.

So just thought I'd blog a bit an wake up this thread.

John
    Last edited by jdonalds; 07-30-2009 at 02:41 AM.
    My life went through a major change 17 years ago. I have peace that I never thought I'd have now that I know Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

2004 Honda Aquatrax F-12 (350 hours), Solas 9/18 Impeller.
    AWA Member since Sept 2006
    1992 SeaDoo XP
    1993 Kawasaki 750 SS Xi
    2006 Yamaha SX210 twin jet boat

PWCToday Newbie

Question:

I have a 1989 Zieman Double Trailer set up for two sit downs skis. Its one of the trailers that doesn't have a jack on the front. Just a wheel bolted to the tongue, so you have to lift the front to hook it up to the truck.

Any-who, I have 2 stand-up ups and one sit down. Id like to set the 2nd bunks up for a stand up and remove the toolbox and set that up for a stand up (bunks facing sideways). Then I figure with the added tongue weight I can add the jack in the front.

Think this is a good idea?
    Last edited by niceguyeddie; 10-15-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Mounted the box today and added a spare/spare carrier. It fits perfect inside the trailer frame. Holds just enough gear, and two 2.5 gallon fuel tanks. Next up is paint the wheels chrome.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/storage-box.htm

Last edited by chrpths; 03-17-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information