• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kennay
    Resident Guru
    • Jun 2007

Re: New to stand ups owner: Junk jet ski rebuild...89' 650SX

Thanks! Very motivational! I most likely will end up rebuilding this thing.

As far as the switch, all I was told is that you have to hit it for a second right before you start it, or whenever you go WOT. I truly am pretty ignorant with jet skis though. I have rebuilt dirtbike and outboard engines in the past, so I have a good understanding of a two stroke motor, just not all the pwc specific parts and what not for them.
    Squarenose superjet with a little get up

Jetworks bigbore, dual 46mm Blackjacks, MSD TL, 205 compression, B pipe mod w/ ECWI, 12/17 Skat Swirl

Comment

• Kennay
      Resident Guru
      • Jun 2007

Not to mention, having before pictures of this wreck would make the "After" pics that much sweeter. I would really like to fix this ski, or a ski of similar vintage up to keep for a long while.

Jetworks bigbore, dual 46mm Blackjacks, MSD TL, 205 compression, B pipe mod w/ ECWI, 12/17 Skat Swirl

Comment

• Kennay
        Resident Guru
        • Jun 2007

Can anyone comment on how well that rideplate and intake grate combo will work? I know I am getting a bit ahead of myself, but it's been killing me just thinking about it.

Comment

• 99 Ultra 150
          I dream skis
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Kennay
          I shall, thanks for the input. How much did all the gaskets and what not run you? Before I dump alot of money into this thing, I will part it out and get what I can to go towards another ski.
          Here's a rundown of mine:

550 Ski ------- $150, came with complete 440 block, 440 hood, and mariner ride plate bonus

Hydroturf ------ about 100 for new hood gasket kit, mats, 2 cans of glue, and a brush

Battery - 100

Gasket Kit ----- 30 bucks on ebay

As you can see, I threw 230 bucks out the window before I could even think about using it. I'll also have to buy a carb rebuild kit. You will probably have to replace a lot of parts so you can expect it to be even more
          1999 Superjet

Comment

• 99 Ultra 150
            I dream skis
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Coreyf983
            Your second option might cost you more time, and more money, but sometimes its the better choice. If you rebuild this thing and put the time and money into it, you will know exactly how every little thing on this baby works and it will be a great learning experience.
            WORD
            1999 Superjet

Comment

• maxb750
              Frequent Poster
              • Sep 2005

did you turn the driveshaft to ensure your crank is good?? I would put a little screwdriver in the hole of the shaft behind the engine and turn.....if it doesn't turn then you're talking about a rusted bottom end. I bought a 550 a few months ago for 200 bucks thinking i could do something with it....took it home and tried to turn the motor over and all i heard was a click.....turns out the pistons were rusted to the cylinder walls and the crank was one big block of rust. Needless to say, i have spare parts now for a 550. good luck,

Max

Comment

• Coreyf983
                PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
                • Jan 2007

100 bucks on a battery?? sh*t man, thats waaay more than i would spend on a battery...

Comment

• Kennay
                  Resident Guru
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by maxb750
                  did you turn the driveshaft to ensure your crank is good?? I would put a little screwdriver in the hole of the shaft behind the engine and turn.....if it doesn't turn then you're talking about a rusted bottom end. I bought a 550 a few months ago for 200 bucks thinking i could do something with it....took it home and tried to turn the motor over and all i heard was a click.....turns out the pistons were rusted to the cylinder walls and the crank was one big block of rust. Needless to say, i have spare parts now for a 550. good luck,

Max
                  Oh yeah, as soon as I got the plugs out I poured an ounce or two of ATF down each hole and spun the shaft with my hand. I could see the pistons moving and it was surprisingly easy to turn the shaft. I could easily turn it before I poured the ATF in though. I used ATF because it was the only thing handy plus it is a pretty strong detergent. The engine is going to be torn down and inspected before it's riden anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

• Kennay
                    Resident Guru
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by 99 Ultra 150
                    Originally posted by Kennay
                    I shall, thanks for the input. How much did all the gaskets and what not run you? Before I dump alot of money into this thing, I will part it out and get what I can to go towards another ski.
                    Here's a rundown of mine:

550 Ski ------- $150, came with complete 440 block, 440 hood, and mariner ride plate bonus

Hydroturf ------ about 100 for new hood gasket kit, mats, 2 cans of glue, and a brush

Battery - 100

Gasket Kit ----- 30 bucks on ebay

As you can see, I threw 230 bucks out the window before I could even think about using it. I'll also have to buy a carb rebuild kit. You will probably have to replace a lot of parts so you can expect it to be even more
                    Awesome! That's very encouraging!

Comment

• Kennay
                      Resident Guru
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Coreyf983
                      100 bucks on a battery?? sh*t man, thats waaay more than i would spend on a battery...
                      Luckily the previous owner stuck a battery in it a couple years ago and it definately hasn't ran since then so it looks brand spankin new. It probably just needs a charge.

Comment

• Kennay
                        Resident Guru
                        • Jun 2007

Well I checked with DNR today, and it will be able to be titles in my name even after sitting all these years. I am going to have about 30 bucks in late reg fees and about 80 in back taxes.

Anyone know what fuel pump I should go with?

Comment

• vandalais
                          Resident Guru
                          • May 2006

I'd use the Mikuni Dual Fuel Pump if you plan on keeping the dual carbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	df52.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	4158640 27.99

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...Id=50901&mmyId=

9.1 gallons an hour plenty enough.
                          The PWC Race Show

Comment

• Kennay
                            Resident Guru
                            • Jun 2007

Awesome. Thanks alot.

When yall say the dual carbs are hard to tune, what exactly is hard to tune? Just getting them exactly the same or what? My father worked on marine 2 strokes, 4 strokes, and deisels for about 20 years so I can get with him on the multicarb set up I guess.

Should I stick with the dual carbs? I guess mainly I want reliability, but the setup that will yield the most power would be cool too.

Comment

• Kennay
                              Resident Guru
                              • Jun 2007

Could someone explain how the primer system would work on this thing?

My main confusion is:

-I hit the primer button, and I'm assuming the fuel pump will turn on and prime the fuel line all the way to the carb.... well, when will the fuel pump turn on then? When the motor fires? I'm a little lost on this whole priming business.

-Is the pump even electric? I don't see any wires, is it vacuum driven?

Comment

• adam.van
                                Frequent Poster
                                • May 2006

The primer is just a plunger, there is no electric fuel pump. The fuel pump is internal and part of carburator, it is driven by a pulse line off of the crank case. You probably just need a carb rebuild kit.
                                '98 XL 760
                                '87 650 SX
                                '81 Glastron SSV-176 Johnson 115

Comment

Working...
                                X