Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Frequent Poster

Re: New to stand ups owner: Junk jet ski rebuild...89' 650SX

did you turn the driveshaft to ensure your crank is good?? I would put a little screwdriver in the hole of the shaft behind the engine and turn.....if it doesn't turn then you're talking about a rusted bottom end. I bought a 550 a few months ago for 200 bucks thinking i could do something with it....took it home and tried to turn the motor over and all i heard was a click.....turns out the pistons were rusted to the cylinder walls and the crank was one big block of rust. Needless to say, i have spare parts now for a 550. good luck,

Max

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Coreyf983's Avatar

100 bucks on a battery?? sh*t man, thats waaay more than i would spend on a battery...

resident guru

Quote Originally Posted by maxb750
    did you turn the driveshaft to ensure your crank is good?? I would put a little screwdriver in the hole of the shaft behind the engine and turn.....if it doesn't turn then you're talking about a rusted bottom end. I bought a 550 a few months ago for 200 bucks thinking i could do something with it....took it home and tried to turn the motor over and all i heard was a click.....turns out the pistons were rusted to the cylinder walls and the crank was one big block of rust. Needless to say, i have spare parts now for a 550. good luck,

Max
    Oh yeah, as soon as I got the plugs out I poured an ounce or two of ATF down each hole and spun the shaft with my hand. I could see the pistons moving and it was surprisingly easy to turn the shaft. I could easily turn it before I poured the ATF in though. I used ATF because it was the only thing handy plus it is a pretty strong detergent. The engine is going to be torn down and inspected before it's riden anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!

resident guru

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Ultra 150
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennay
    I shall, thanks for the input. How much did all the gaskets and what not run you? Before I dump alot of money into this thing, I will part it out and get what I can to go towards another ski.
    Here's a rundown of mine:

550 Ski ------- $150, came with complete 440 block, 440 hood, and mariner ride plate bonus

Hydroturf ------ about 100 for new hood gasket kit, mats, 2 cans of glue, and a brush

Battery - 100

Gasket Kit ----- 30 bucks on ebay

As you can see, I threw 230 bucks out the window before I could even think about using it. I'll also have to buy a carb rebuild kit. You will probably have to replace a lot of parts so you can expect it to be even more
    Awesome! That's very encouraging!

resident guru

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyf983
    100 bucks on a battery?? sh*t man, thats waaay more than i would spend on a battery...
    Luckily the previous owner stuck a battery in it a couple years ago and it definately hasn't ran since then so it looks brand spankin new. It probably just needs a charge.

resident guru

Well I checked with DNR today, and it will be able to be titles in my name even after sitting all these years. I am going to have about 30 bucks in late reg fees and about 80 in back taxes.

Anyone know what fuel pump I should go with?

I'd use the Mikuni Dual Fuel Pump if you plan on keeping the dual carbs.

df52.jpg 27.99

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...Id=50901&mmyId=

9.1 gallons an hour plenty enough.
    The PWC Race Show

resident guru

Awesome. Thanks alot.

When yall say the dual carbs are hard to tune, what exactly is hard to tune? Just getting them exactly the same or what? My father worked on marine 2 strokes, 4 strokes, and deisels for about 20 years so I can get with him on the multicarb set up I guess.

Should I stick with the dual carbs? I guess mainly I want reliability, but the setup that will yield the most power would be cool too.

resident guru

Could someone explain how the primer system would work on this thing?

My main confusion is:

-I hit the primer button, and I'm assuming the fuel pump will turn on and prime the fuel line all the way to the carb.... well, when will the fuel pump turn on then? When the motor fires? I'm a little lost on this whole priming business.

-Is the pump even electric? I don't see any wires, is it vacuum driven?

The primer is just a plunger, there is no electric fuel pump. The fuel pump is internal and part of carburator, it is driven by a pulse line off of the crank case. You probably just need a carb rebuild kit.
    '98 XL 760
    '87 650 SX
    '81 Glastron SSV-176 Johnson 115

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information