Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    resident guru

New to stand ups owner: Junk jet ski rebuild...89' 650SX

I got a 1989 Kawi 650 from my boss for free. It doesn't run, I know I will need a new starter for it, and I also need a fuel pump. The thing has been modified quiet a bit. It's in pretty rough shape but I am willing to put some work into it to keep for a long time if I can get it halfway reliable.

The bad: Who knows what has been modified on the thing, from a compatibility of parts stand point, I'd assume I have a nightmare.

-I know I will need a fuel pump, and the ski is wired to have a fuel pump button right beside the start/ stop buttons. There is no fuel pump on their now so I have no idea where to start.

The good: Cool mods. (Hopefully)

-It has a Westcoast exhaust manifold and pipe. It has a supertrap pipe thing up under the nose too. Sorry if I call a give a part on a ski a wrong name, I really am ignorant with this thing. I also have a boost tank below the carbs. I don't know if those come stock or what.

-Has an aluminum head, I believe it says PJC or PJC , but it's currently frozen onto the top of the cylinder. I've been fighting to get it off all night.

-The dual Kiehin carbs are orange, and I don't know what size they are. Each has it's own aluminum donut looking intake spark arrestor.

-The starter was completely rust welded to the block, so when I finally got it off, part of the starter is still in the hole. The case seems to be broken. I can press or grind ot out later once I get the motor out. Before I tried pulling it, I hooked the ski to a good car battery and all I was getting was a single click/thunk for everytime I hit the start button.

The choke hole in front of the pad and the fuel switch have been completely removed and siliconed over.

I can't remember what brand was on the intake, but I do know the prop is aluminum and has a 9 on it.

I can get pics soon, and am in desperate need of direction. Please help me. I'd LOVE to have this thing running sometime this summer.

I will update this thread tonight with pics hopefully but I will have some brand names and what not.
    Last edited by Kennay; 06-17-2007 at 12:45 PM.

resident guru

Re: New to stand ups owner: Junk jet ski rebuild...89' 650SX

If anyone has any tips on how to get the head off please let me know. Right now it's looking like my options are removing the cylinder and pressing it off from the bottom or removing the studs and whacking on it laterally. I havw the exhaust all the way out as well as the fuel tank, and am going to pull the engine later tonight. Thanks again, im in WAY over my head here.

resident guru

The pics I said I would post:

I am going to clean the hull out as soon as I can pull the motor (Probably tomorrow night)

To part out what I can and scrap the rest, or fix it? I honestly have no clue as to what to do next. From what I've heard, it was the baddest ski around here in it' day. This ski has stayed in a circle of friends including thr original owner who has since died. He was the last to ride it.

Mine looked almost as bad when I got it. If you want to take the time to rebuild it you should be ok. The hardest thing I had to do on mine was to get the flywheel off. Looks like it has a lot of good parts on the ski. That dual carb set up with what it looks like round body Mikunis may be a pain to tune. You may want to leave the head on until you get the flywheel off assuming you plan to at least change the crankcase seals. The head is a PJS.
    The PWC Race Show

resident guru

The main reason I want/need the head off is so I can clean all the corrosion out of the water tunnels and inspect the pistons and cylinder walls.

I'd take the flywheel cover off the front. Remove the front spark plug. Turn (as if tightening) the flywheel bolt until the front piston is just past top dead center. Inset a few inches of 5/8" rope into the cylinder. Turn the flywheel bolt (as if loosening) the head should pop right off. You use the same metod to remove the flywheel bolt except that the head is tightened down.
    Last edited by vandalais; 06-17-2007 at 09:00 PM.
    The PWC Race Show

resident guru

Excellent idea! Thanks alot my friend. I am going to try it tomorrow! I shall let you know

I got a 550 a few weeks ago that hadn't been run in 10 years...it was in better condition than yours though but with equally as many performance parts. If you want this thing to run and run right, then take the engine out and pull the whole thing apart and replace all the gaskets, etc. Otherwise it will be a big headache. I mean it can't get in much worse condition than that other than if it were hydrolocked, so you don't want to just do a bandaid fix. My opinion at least
    1999 Superjet

resident guru

I shall, thanks for the input. How much did all the gaskets and what not run you? Before I dump alot of money into this thing, I will part it out and get what I can to go towards another ski.

rent a harmonic ballancer puller from autozone if you are going to take the flywheel off. tighten it down till the bolts bent and tap with a hammer. make sure you dont turn the 3 outer bolts in too far and damage the thing.
    650sx
    custom paint
    trued hull
    shaved gas door
    footholds
    custom turf
    turfed rails
    scuper
    custom 750 "super small pin"
    small pin cases
    stroker crank with 650 rods
    custom Wisecos