• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andleech
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Mar 2005

Wisconsin Jet Ski Laws (st croix)

I just read the regulations for wisconsin.
    These excerpts are taken directly from the "Wi Boating Regulations" pamphlet.

-Can ride sunrise to sunset.
    -Illegal to operate backwards
    -Must remain: 200 feet from shore, 100 feet of any boat or be at no wake

The laws on the st croix are a little confusing. For fishing, both mn and wi rules apply but in the publics favor. You can fish the croix with a mn license and follow wi laws ie; fish with two lines, earlier openers etc.

I'm assuming we can follow whatever laws are better in our favor for jetskiing too. If washington county stops you for not being off an hour before sunset, you could say wi law says you can ride til sunset.

Will somebody post the main mn laws?
    Originally posted by LisaLisa
    60% of the time that gives me panty splash all of the time
  • yamanube
    • Mar 2006

Re: Wisconsin Jet Ski Laws (st croix)

How about any rules this year as far as camping on the islands?

Comment

• andleech
      • Mar 2005

None,
      I went out there yesterday and hung out with a river-rat. He said nothing's changing, just a bunch of rumors. So far all they've done to the dike is run power down it for landscape lights

Comment

• randalj1
        • May 2006

I didn't find any specific laws for the St. Croix in the 2007 book. But here is some for MN:

-Personal watercraft must travel at slow-no wake speed (5mph or less within 150 ft of non0motorized boats, shore (unless launching or landing skiers directly toor from open water), docks, swim rafts, swimmers, or any moored or anchored boat

-Operation of personal watercraft is allowed only from 9:30 am to 1 hour before sunset

-If the machine is equipped by the manufacturer with a lanyard-type engine cutoff switch, it must be attached to the person, life jacket or clothing of the operator when underway. No cool tricks were you zip tie it up!

-you may not travel through emergent or floating vegetation at greater than slow -no wake speed. Yox, no more jumping the point on FL!

-You may not operate a personal watercraft in a manner that unreasonably or unnecessarily endangers life, limb or property. No doing any tricks of any kind!

-You may not weave through congested watercraft traffic, or jump the wake of another watercraft wihtin 150 ft of the other watercraft. This includes other personal watercraft.

-A personal watercraft rules decal issued by the DNR needs to be on the craft in full view of the operator.

-You may not operate a personal watercraft while facing backwards. NUBE!

-All personal watercraft must display valid registration decals and registration (MN) numbers on the forward half of both sides of the craft.

-Your watercraft license card must be kept on board your craft when it's in use. Who does that, it gets wet!

-All personal watercraft with enclosed engine or fuel compartments must carry a fully charged, readily accessible, US Coast Guard approved fire extinguisher.

-Personal watercraft may not exceed the max. watercraft noise levels. Also, you may not modify any motorboat (including PWC) in a way that amplifies or increases the noise it emits above water craft noise limits. No person shall operate or sell a motorboat so modified.

-No person shall sell or offer for sale replacement or additional parts for a motorboat which when installed in the motorboat will amplify or increase the noise emitted above the noise limit. No person shall operate a motorboat incorporating such parts. Yox, no more running your 550! Nube you can't sell the supertrap waterbox!

96 RN superjet
        SUR#201

Comment

• yamanube
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by randalj1

-you may not travel through emergent or floating vegetation at greater than slow -no wake speed. Yox, no more jumping the point on FL!
          -You may not operate a personal watercraft in a manner that unreasonably or unnecessarily endangers life, limb or property. No doing any tricks of any kind!
          -You may not weave through congested watercraft traffic, or jump the wake of another watercraft wihtin 150 ft of the other watercraft. This includes other personal watercraft.
          -A personal watercraft rules decal issued by the DNR needs to be on the craft in full view of the operator.
          -You may not operate a personal watercraft while facing backwards. NUBE!
          -Personal watercraft may not exceed the max. watercraft noise levels. Also, you may not modify any motorboat (including PWC) in a way that amplifies or increases the noise it emits above water craft noise limits. No person shall operate or sell a motorboat so modified.
          -No person shall sell or offer for sale replacement or additional parts for a motorboat which when installed in the motorboat will amplify or increase the noise emitted above the noise limit. No person shall operate a motorboat incorporating such parts. Yox, no more running your 550! Nube you can't sell the supertrap waterbox!
          Dumb rules!

Comment

• andleech
            • Mar 2005

Haha 'Nube
            It sounds like wi rules are a little easier to follow. So on the Croix
            -Ride sunrise to sunset
            -No riding w/in 100 feet of another boat and 150 feet from shore.
            -No mention of tricks for wi except riding backwards

Comment

• djyox
              • Mar 2004

Sounds like we'll be following the WI rules this year on the croix.. Well other than the MN rule of 150'
              -Nick

Comment

• andleech
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by djyox
                Sounds like we'll be following the WI rules this year on the croix.. Well other than the MN rule of 150'
                I feel stupid for not looking into this before. I ended early everytime to finish an hour before sunset. I missed out on some nice waves.

Comment

• djyox
                  • Mar 2004

Agreed... And to top it off, I always launch from WI side, so its not like a cop could be sitting there waiting at the launch to ticket me...

This is sweet!
                  -Nick

Comment

• randalj1
                    • May 2006

Now the question is, they DNR sees you out there and gives you a ticket for doing something stupid. Are you going to tell him that you didn't do anything wrong because WI rules states so.

What do you do when he tells you that you have MN registration and those are the rules you need to follow and gives you the ticket anyways!

96 RN superjet
                    SUR#201

Comment

• djyox
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by randalj1
                      Now the question is, they DNR sees you out there and gives you a ticket for doing something stupid. Are you going to tell him that you didn't do anything wrong because WI rules states so.

What do you do when he tells you that you have MN registration and those are the rules you need to follow and gives you the ticket anyways!
                      Take it to court and say you were on the WI side of the croix
                      -Nick

Comment

• yamanube
                        • Mar 2006

Probably not the best idea, or the cheapest. They have guns, badges, radios, flashy lights and friends...you did what they say you did.

Comment

• djyox
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by yamanube
                          Probably not the best idea, or the cheapest. They have guns, badges, radios, flashy lights and friends...you did what they say you did.
                          Thats only if they show up to court... thats iffy there.... And if they do, you wont even really go to court... its just like court for speeding tickets, if you get a ticket it goes on your driving record... FIGHT IT!
                          -Nick

Comment

• H0LLYW00D
                            • Apr 2002

If I got a ticket for riding my jet ski backwards I would go to court and state that it is impossible for my jet ski to go backwards.

Case dismissed, beeeeeeeeeyatch!

Comment

• yamanube
                              • Mar 2006

You could have Andrew defend you and go on a 45 minute tangent about how standup jetskis are the best and they subject to unfair discrimination.

Comment

Working...
                              X