Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Charging system on 650sx?

just picked up my first ski, an 87 650sx, and i was wondering if the stator charges the battery like on a trail dirtbike or quad, or if auxillary charging is required, ie: from a wall charger?

thanks
    '87 650SX

Behind the clouds, the sun is always shining

I dream skis

Re: Charging system on 650sx?

It does charge the battery but it's a good idea to keep it on a battery buddy so your battery lasts longer and stays charged. If you run a bilge, or are falling off all the time and having to use the starter a bunch you probably won't maintain the charge by riding it. Also if you're using the factory choke and not a primer you'll probably be cranking it a lot more.

get you an odyssey battery from a good store, that way you can take it back to be warrentied.

I read somewhere that they have 200 dead cycles, which means they can be ran COMPLETLY dead 200 times before they are toast. Try that with an acid filled battery

I have an old 650sx with a start relay that will drain the battery if you leave it connected in storage for a month. Beware. always disconnect either the pos or neg lead from the batt or you may notice a ski that eats batteries. also to check it, you can just ohm between the two heavy contactor posts after you remove both red starter cables and if there is any continuity at all.....it will drain the battery.
    A bad day skiing is ALWAYS better than a good day of work! I've had plenty bad days.

03' 800sx-r port matching on aft carb intake mani, electric bilge, tinytach, boat launch mishap induced hull chine modifications....lol.

650sx
    44mm mikuni w/vortex f/a, solas peller, ocean pro rideplate & grate, electric auto bilge w/overboard discharge
    and lots of corrosion!

1100zxi
    pretty much stock cept for the electric bilge and now a r&d scoop grate.

and a 14ft shuttlecraft

Thread Information