Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adam's 650sx project complete

I got into stand ups about 1.5 years ago with the purchase of a sun damaged but mechanically sound 89 650sx. I had plans of restoring it to mint condition but I quickly became interested in performance. I watched Fletch complete his X-2 build which was a big inspiration for my 650sx. GroupK has so much good info on the 650sx and I just don't believe that it is a bad ski. I wanted a good all around ski and I was not about to go the Superjet route. For some reason the 650sx is the punching bag of the stand up world (aside from the 3D) but i think that reputation is unwarranted. In stock form it does need some help though so I got started on what became a 12 month transformation where I tried different pipes, carbs, heads, rideplates and intake grates. I did it all one thing at a time and I guess I just finished yesterday when I put the ported cylinder on and fired it up.

Body/Hull/Cosmetic:
    Although I decided to not go the showroom mint route with this restoration, I did want a nice clean looking ski that looked as fresh as possible. As much as I loved the 80s I had to let it go. I lost the stickers, filled and sanded a few little nicks and repainted using Dupont Ful-Thane 2k urethane, "Artic White"
    - reinforced fuel door/cover with fiberglass and epoxy and siliconed in place so it wouldn't get blown off when i sub, it works great.
    - used a blow torch on the front and rear bumpers to bring back the original shine
    - Shaved the original chin pad and recovered with marine vinyl
    - Tossed the side pads and recovered the rails with Hydroturf neoprene, actually gave a little more room in the tray.
    - recovered the hood pads with the same neoprene.
    - footholds, homemade...not bad for my first try
    - reinforced the bondline on both sides and around the fire ext. compartment
    - Hydroturf tray pad kit.
    - rule 500 GPH bilge w/ blowsion rotary switch.
    - A few stickers from exotic signs.

Handling
    - Ocean Pro non-winged ride plate
    - westcoast deep intake crate
    - Solas 13/18 KA-SC-I prop
    - Quick turn plate.
    I also removed 1cm of metal on both sides of turn plate around the center hub area which greatly improved the turning radius. It allows the nozzle to move about another inch each way which made a huge difference. Probably the best thing I've done for this ski.
    - Nozzle mod...I dremeled away some material on the inside edges of the plastic nozzle so it could travel farther in each direction.
    - replaced the original bars, grips.
    - additional handlepole spring
    - AC Aluminum handlepole, 2" shorter than stock.

Power
    The engine had been rebuilt with a new crank right before I bought it. I later found out that the cylinder had been decked and my stock compression was 180. I siezd the engine running 260psi with a PJS head that I later sold..see this thread... http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=102208

After it siezed I rebuilt the top end with Pro-X pistons 1.0 over stock and had the cylinder honed. I used a stock 750 head and drilled/tapped it for Dual cooling and two pissers. Ran it through the stock exhaust drain line that runs through the firewall. Last weekend I had the clyinder "rec" ported and they cleaned up the exhaust ports as well. I don't know much about porting so I just asked that they maximize bottom and mid range power. They did real nice work www.spectrumwatercraft.com for you Texas guys. I haven't ridden it with the porting but it was real punchy and fast before so I'm looking forward to it. Aside from the engine work listed above I did this stuff too...

-Coffman pipe
    -Westcoast intake and exhaust manifolds,
    -44mm Mikuni SBN, Ocean Pro vortex, and the Jetsport reed cage inserts.
    -Compression was at 205psi before porting w/ a metal head gasket. I figure I'm about 190-195 now. Running 93 octane with some booster.

Other stuff:
    Rebuilt the pump and driveshaft carrier with Kawasaki bearings and seals. Oil injection block off, crankcase drain blockoff, lanyard kill switch from a kawasaki TS.

If I do anything else I'll get a Worx top loader because the lake I ride at is choppy most of the time. The ski really handles well and carves better than I ever thought it would. I think it will be a great recreational freestlye ski, it just might take a little more time to master than the almighty superjet. If you have any questions or are trying something similar let me know.

-Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adamrs80; 05-07-2007 at 10:43 PM.

PWCToday Guru

Re: Adam's 650sx project complete

So do you have a grand total for what it cost you? You inspired one 650 rider thats for sure...

awesome ski. Can you go into more detail about how you improved the turning radius, im interested in doing that to my ski.
    Last edited by chrisdoc0608; 05-08-2007 at 12:54 PM.
    1992 701 custom RN arm jerker

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim00
    So do you have a grand total for what it cost you? You inspired one 650 rider thats for sure...
    It's hard to say, I screwed up along the way and spent money on things that weren't necessary or the time I siezed the engine and spent $250 getting the clyinder honed and new pistons. I will try and come up with a cost. Some of the items I bought new, like the SBN carb, OP rideplate, flame arrestor, prop whereas you can find them used for less money.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdoc0608
    awesome ski. Can you go into more detail about how you improved the turning radius, im interested in doing that to my ski.
    Disconnect your steering cable from the steering nozzle and move the nozzle by hand to it's max left and right position. You'll notice that they only thing that keeps it from turning farther is the material on the inside of the steering nozzle coming in contact with the pump nozzle. Take off the steering nozzle and use a dremel or file and mill away the material so the nozzle can travel further in each direction. Once you've done this you can take your stock turn plate or better yet a quick turn and remove about 1cm of metal on both sides of the plate where it contacts the cast aluminum turn stop that protrudes from the underside of the handle pole. You're basically doing the same thing that you did to the nozzle, just allowing a sharper angle of the nozzle. Do a search for "steering mod" of something like that, that is where I got the idea.

i looked at the plate, im sure i can take care of the shaving of that, but as far as the pump nozzle goes do i need to cut on both sides, the way it looks to me the right side is the one that has no clearance, what do i need to cut on the nozzle, any pics?

All you need is a dremel or a file. Before you take off the nozzle just disconnect the cable and visualize what taking off a few mm would do. It's the turn plate modification that really dictates how sharp you can turn and there is a limit there as well because the cable can only be pushed so far into it's housing. I figured out how far that was and cut the plate accordingly and equal on both sides. Just do a little at a time. You do have to take material off both sides of the nozzle. I removed some from the little stalk that the ball fitting is attached to.

justinlee

turned out great. now all you have to do is ride it.

Just waiting for Friday afternoon...

ok i took the plate off, do you have a measurement that i could go by so i dont cut off too much? if i just cut the plate and not the nozzle will i get anything out of it, or do i have to cut the nozzle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information