User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

adjusting Mikuni Super BN carbs.

Hi, I just got a 1994 Sea Doo XP that has Mikuni Super BN carbs on it. I know alot about regular engines but nothing about 2 stroke PWC engines. This has a huse dead spot when you try to give it fuel the idols perfect but as soon as you try to give it any fuel it just falls over and dies. Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

Re: adjusting Mikuni Super BN carbs.

Sorry I just read my post and I will learn to preview it first now because my typing is terrible.

time for a carb clean!! The jets are 0 highs and lows 1-1/4 - 1-1/2

Man I hate to sound dumb but that was all greek to me. Do I need to remove them to do this or is it adjustable on the wave runner? Than ks for the help.

To clean the carbs they have to be removed . This is ult.what you will have to do.To adjust the jets you can do this without removing the carbs.There will be three screws on the carb top screw is high speed bottom screw is low speed and there will be another adjustment screw beside the low speed that is the idle adjustment.Find the low speed screw and turn it all the way in,Then back it out 1-1/2 turns on the carbs.Make shure the high is at zero turns out(all the way in).It may be nes for you to use a mirror to see the screws,also it is alot easier if you remove the air box.

I just got a Mikuni Super BN 44 and have some questions.

First, I wanted to figure out which jets were factory installed. Unfortunately, after getting the regulator cover off, one of those incredibly torqued in Philips screws covering the jets stripped out. So looks like I need a screw remover. But anyway...

I'm pretty sure I'll have to re-jet, given I'm at about 6000' elevation. How many sizes larger and smaller than what I have installed should I get?

Also, some questions about the tuning process. There are two parts of the Mikuni tuning procedure which I don't get.

First:

Remember, the low speed adjuster is only for adjusting the idle mixture. If you use the adjuster to help get rid of a low speed hesitation, you will probably find that your engine will load up in no wake zones, or after extended idling.
    What do they mean by "load up"? Do the revs drop or increase when an engine "loads up"?

Next:

Low speed jet excerpt:
    Ride the boat at a constant 1/4 throttle opening for about 1 minute and then quickly open the throttle fully, there should be no hesitation and the engine should not show signs of being loaded up. If it hesitates, it's lean; if it's loaded up, it's rich.
    And in the high speed jet adjustment:
    The procedure for testing for the correct high speed jet size is the same as for the low speed, except that you should now hold the throttle at a constant 1/2 open for one minute, then quickly open the throttle fully to check the engine response. If the engine hesitates, the carb is lean. If the engine takes a second or two to clear out and then accelerate, the carb is too rich.
    Okay, what's the difference between the engine hesitating, and the engine taking "a second or two to clear out and then accelerate"? It sounds like the same thing to me. In the low speed adjustment, it said that the engine should not hesitate, or show signs of being "loaded up". (there's that loading word again)

Can somebody shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Edit: In case anybody is wondering, the excerpts are from the Super BN Manual found here:
    http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/sbn_manual.pdf
    Last edited by Dan750SX; 05-15-2007 at 08:01 PM.
    Dan White
    1993 Kawi 750SX

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt_E's Avatar

Loading up - it starts out running fine, may drop a bit in RPM, and then has trouble taking off (after extended idle).

Lean hesitation: you pull the throttle, and the boat falls on its face, stumbles, and picks right back up.

Rich hesitation, or having to clear out: the engine does not stumble, but reacts slowly to the throttle input and slowly climbs out of the RPM hole.
    If I sound like a moron, it's only because I haven't typed enough words yet.

Jetworks....Blowsion....Superfreak!....Thrust Innovations

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home 1goofball's Avatar

* mrfisherman * if cleaning carbs don't work, I bet it is the stator. Mine acted like you said and stator was fried. Replaced and now runs good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_E
    Rich hesitation, or having to clear out: the engine does not stumble, but reacts slowly to the throttle input and slowly climbs out of the RPM hole.

I think my Superjet is alittle rich then.

Quote Originally Posted by bluffskier
    I think my Superjet is alittle rich then.
    Better to be a little rich than a little lean, at least as far as the high speed jet and screw is concerned. Lean can lead to piston seisures. Rich just causes hesitation.

Personally, once I find my ideal high speed setting, I'll adjust it about 1/8 to 1/4 turn rich just to be sure.
    Last edited by Dan750SX; 05-16-2007 at 01:12 AM.
    Dan White
    1993 Kawi 750SX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information