» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Hellwoman Moderator

EPA Signs Landmark Marine Engine ruling

EPA Signs Landmark Marine Engine and Boat Evaporative Emission Rule

Comprehensive rulemaking affects all sectors of marine manufacturing

CHICAGO, April 18, 2007 – Yesterday afternoon, April 17, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) signed a proposed rule that, once finalized, will result in the largest regulatory action in the history of the recreational marine industry. The EPA rule, titled “Control of Emissions from Non-road Spark Ignition Engines and Equipment,” impacts boatbuilders, gasoline engine manufacturers (both outboard and inboard/sterndrive) and manufacturers of marine generators. The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) is encouraging its members to submit comments to EPA on its proposal by the August 3 deadline.

The effects of EPA’s latest proposal are two-fold, requiring spark ignited (gas) marine engine manufacturers to meet new emission standards beginning in 2009 and boatbuilders to reduce evaporative emissions from boat fuel systems. Under the proposal, outboard and PWC engines will have to be certified to the same stringent exhaust emission standards as will be required by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in 2008. For sterndrive and inboard engines, the EPA rule proposes catalyst-based exhaust emission standards apply beginning in 2009. Boatbuilders will be required to change their fuel systems with requirements for fuel hose, plastic fuel tanks and controlling emissions from the fuel tank vent.

“This is by far the most comprehensive rulemaking ever imposed on the recreational marine industry,” says Thom Dammrich, NMMA president. “It’s not just an engine rule; this proposal directly affects boatbuilders as well as engine manufacturers and will change the way builders design a boat’s fuel system. The entire industry needs to be aware of this ruling and prepare to meet all necessary requirements under the new EPA guidelines.”

This rulemaking culminates nearly a decade of NMMA and industry-wide efforts to work with EPA on several data collection projects related specifically to evaporative emissions and engine emissions, including: The Carbon Canister Diurnal Emission Evaluation; Fuel, Fill and Vent Hose Permeation Emission Test Program; Off-cycle Emission Data Collection Project; and the Fresh and Salt Water Catalyst Test program, funded by EPA, the U.S. Coast Guard and CARB.

“It is very rewarding to be part of an industry that works so closely with government agencies like EPA and the U.S. Coast Guard to create these regulations, which provide cleaner air, improved fuel economy and allow for the creation and development of new products for our customers” says Chuck Rowe, NMMA Chairman and president of Indmar Products Co. Inc.

A public hearing has been scheduled for June 5 in Reston, Va. Members of the NMMA Evaporative Emission Task Force and the Engine Manufacturers Division (EMD) will convene May 14-16 to prepare for the hearing. Written comments are due to EPA by August 3

To download a copy of the proposed EPA rule, preamble and Regulatory Impact Analysis, visit http://www.epa.gov/otaq/marinesi.htm. For additional information, contact John McKnight at (202) 737-9757; jmcknight@nmma.org.

National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) is the leading association representing the recreational boating industry. NMMA member companies produce more than 80 percent of the boats, engines, trailers, accessories and gear used by boaters and anglers in the United States. The association is dedicated to industry growth through programs in public policy, market research and data, product quality assurance and marketing communications.

200 E. Randolph Dr., Suite 5100

Chicago, IL 60601-6528

312-946-6200

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Lindsey Savin Johnson (ljohnson@nmma.org; 312-946-6204)

PWCToday Guru

Re: EPA Signs Landmark Marine Engine ruling

Thanks,
    This will likely lead to the final end of 2 strokes in a few years, depending on the maximum emission levels allowed - a provision in the Cal. emission rules that was the end of 2 stroke marine engines being sold in Cal.

SuperJets, SuperJets, get you SuperJets . . . . .

NOW, before they are gone . . . . .
    Get off the couch and Ride!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Donaldson
    Thanks,
    This will likely lead to the final end of 2 strokes in a few years, depending on the maximum emission levels allowed - a provision in the Cal. emission rules that was the end of 2 stroke marine engines being sold in Cal.
    J. Donaldson, the same way the EPA has emissions exemptions for OBDI and earlier automobiles, I'd like to think they would follow suit in the boating world.

This sounds more like the beginning of yearly emissions testing on every new PWC, along with a On-Board Diagnostic system similar to what all OBDII automobiles have today... I think it's just a matter of time before all watercraft have SES lights - along with readiness codes that will only clear to pass inspection after X number of hours after the repairs have been made and that SES light is no longer present.

Top Dog

I can feel my two stroke Mercury 240HP jetboat getting more valuable every day! The days of 240 horsepower from a 350 pound engine will soon be gone.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home LisaLisa's Avatar

Piggyback rides are my preferred mode of transportation

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home seadoodude's Avatar

I guess all this will make our pocket books hurt. is there a grandfather clause for existing craft or did i see somewhere that 2 cycles will be baned from some places like lake meade in 2008 or 10?
    Last edited by seadoodude; 04-19-2007 at 01:00 AM.
    (2) 98 GSXLs
    (1) 00 Challenger 2000

Top Dog

Quote Originally Posted by seadoodude
    I guess all this will make our pocket books hurt. is there a grandfather clause for existing craft or did i see somewhere that 2 cycles will be baned from some places like lake meade in 2008 or 10?
    I've heard there have been some bans on California lakes. But most of these regulations affect newly manufactured boats and skis and the engines inside. Cars and trucks are the same way... you don't have to retrofit a catalytic converter on grandpa's old truck. Existing equipment is OK for as long as you can keep it running. Except in some places in California, that is.

Most times, they will let attrition weed out the older stuff. It is a responsible policy. I just hate that manufacturers have a reason to raise costs for no reasons. We all know Yamaha is making engines that meet these standards, but when the others do Yamaha will raise their prices for no reason.
    Leon Phelps and Ashy Larry, a tag team made in the Marcy Projects.

"I am about to go from ashy to classy. " Big E Smalls

For the PWC's we own today this kind of legislation means death....and opens the door for other legislation and bans on the water.....and this is not good for the manufactures as they wait for the next bomb to hit their desk. Every state in the USA is working on some kind of restriction or ban on the water. If you care about PWC's on the water YOU should join AWA today if you are not a member already.....Dad www.awahq.org/
    Last edited by riverratdad; 04-19-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information