Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Re: 06 VX110 water in spark plug holes

Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad
    I think you have mis-interpreted the problem here ...
    Yup, a picture's worth a thousand words.

I understand what you're saying - it could be water/humid air sucked in past the plug mouted coil. If this only happens after washing it warm, I certainly agree this is the likely source.

If that's not the source, it might be humid air being sucked in past the plug bores. I assume the other side of that plug bore is open to the inside of the engine (cam, valves, etc)? And the other end of that bore has an oring on it to? if that other oring was cracked...

Assume the likely causes first, and if they're disproven, look for the conspiracy theories

-Joe

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home RiverDad's Avatar

Joe,

The only access to the plug "recess" is via the O ring on the plug mounted coil. Well there is other access via gaskets I suspect but the weak link will be the ease of bypassing the O ring.

Here is a pic of the O ring in on the coil that I believe is bypassing, under cooling, if water is against it ...

Also ..it seems to be a problem on the VXs verses the FXs ... in the VX the coils are exposed ... in the FX they are somewhat shrouded under the air filter box, as you can see in the pic. The airfilter itself sits over them.

Regards
    RD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RiverDad; 03-22-2007 at 12:00 AM.
    05 Yamaha FX160 Cruiser -140 hrs Traded... 06 Yamaha Black Cruiser - 145hrs... 06 Yamaha 50th Ann Cruiser - 110hrs. In Australian waters ........

It is probably impossible for this to seal correctly, from a theoretical standpoint. Coefficient of expansion for metals is nowhere near what it is for plastics. Especially true with cast iron or aluminum. O-ring probably only helps when cold. Temperature fluxuation is probably 100 degrees, so expansions are probably .05 inch plenty to let water in especially under vacuum pressure.
    Leon Phelps and Ashy Larry, a tag team made in the Marcy Projects.

"I am about to go from ashy to classy. " Big E Smalls

Leon,

The expansion from temperature fluctuation should be covered by the O ring compression when installed. You may be right though ... as its a spark plug bore seal ... not a 1500psi hydraulic O ring on a ram !!

The moisture ingress doesnt seem to cause any ignition losses etc, it just allows the plug and/or the wall of the plug bore to slowly corrode.

Its a perfect environment for it ... heat, moisture, air (oxygen) and disimilar metals ...

Just something for owners to keep an eye on ... and maybe lube the plug bores to hold it at bay. A bit of lanotec rubbed on the spark plug's metal area wouldnt hurt either.

Regards
    RD
    Last edited by RiverDad; 03-22-2007 at 01:55 AM.
    05 Yamaha FX160 Cruiser -140 hrs Traded... 06 Yamaha Black Cruiser - 145hrs... 06 Yamaha 50th Ann Cruiser - 110hrs. In Australian waters ........

PWCToday Regular

Riverdad,
    Now that I think about it, have you ever removed the plug mounted coil after riding when the engine is warm? you hear the vacuum seal break when you pull the coil out of the bore and it makes a popping sound. This shows that you are right that it is under vacuum. If you remove them when the engine is cold, it makes the same noise, but not nearly as forceful. When it's warm, you can even feel it sort of holding the coil in. just my worthless 2 cents

Matt

Matt,

I have not done it warm only cold ... so I dont think your 2 cents was worthless.

Frank and I found some mildly corroded plugs in his. We replaced them and are due to have a look in the plug bores again.

RD

Leon,

The expansion from temperature fluctuation should be covered by the O ring compression when installed. You may be right though ... as its a spark plug bore seal ... not a 1500psi hydraulic O ring on a ram !!

The moisture ingress doesnt seem to cause any ignition losses etc, it just allows the plug and/or the wall of the plug bore to slowly corrode.

Its a perfect environment for it ... heat, moisture, air (oxygen) and disimilar metals ...

Just something for owners to keep an eye on ... and maybe lube the plug bores to hold it at bay. A bit of lanotec rubbed on the spark plug's metal area wouldnt hurt either.

Regards
    RD
    I was talking about the materials, not the gas inside the area.
    Leon Phelps and Ashy Larry, a tag team made in the Marcy Projects.

"I am about to go from ashy to classy. " Big E Smalls

Leon,

Oh ok ! The cam cover/head interface would leak oil and I dont think there is a water gallery in the head that has access to the plug bore (via a parting line/gasket/O-ring ...

Regards
    RD

Matt,

I have not done it warm only cold ... so I dont think your 2 cents was worthless.

Frank and I found some mildly corroded plugs in his. We replaced them and are due to have a look in the plug bores again.

RD
    Actualy, it is quite valuable feedback in my opinion...

My plugs now have anti-sieze on them and I did coat the bores with lanotec.... I should actualy pop it open and check them out - I have put around 5 hours or so on it at least since then...

Frank

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by franku
    Matt,

RD
    Actualy, it is quite valuable feedback in my opinion...

My plugs now have anti-sieze on them and I did coat the bores with lanotec.... I should actualy pop it open and check them out - I have put around 5 hours or so on it at least since then...

Frank
    What's lanotek? is that some type of anti-corrosive marine spray?

Matt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information