Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home RiverDad's Avatar

Re: 06 VX110 water in spark plug holes

Matt,

If you want to clean the plug bores a bit use a bit of thin wooden dowel and a very fine scotch brite with a bit of crc type product.

DO THIS WITH PLUGS IN .... soak crc residue up with cloth and dowel til dryish ... ... and grab a vacuum cleaner and tape in some plastic tube that fits in plug bore ..start vacuum and suck out bores for any left over crap.

Remove plugs carefully ... vacuum again .... renew plugs if you can ... grab a bit of sponge and crc and coat cleaned plug bore with it.

If its not that bad you should be fine ...just guard against any crap going into cylinders at plug change time.

Regards
    RD
    05 Yamaha FX160 Cruiser -140 hrs Traded... 06 Yamaha Black Cruiser - 145hrs... 06 Yamaha 50th Ann Cruiser - 110hrs. In Australian waters ........

PWCToday Regular

The cold wash on a warm engine sounds like a strong possibility, but it also could be more subtle than that...

This situation reminds me of my wife's Saturn Vue. It sometimes has a white paste on the underside of the oil cap. I've searched forums and found that its quite common for there to be condensation inside that engine as it cools. There is apperently nothing wrong and no fix to avoid it. It tends to condense around the top of oil cap (one of the first places to cool), and turn the oil on the cap white. Once the engine gets up to operating temperature again, it evaporates again.

-Joe

Joe,

I read about that on the BITOG site !! That is a possibility for sure ... especially as in most cases there is no frank water just corrosion. As they cool they might just suck in salty air from the inside of the ski ?

In one of the above cases there was actual water in there ... and without sinking the thing I cant think how it would get in there ?? I can ride in the surf and push plenty of water over the ski through waves but have still only seen salt water in the lower half of the ski not over the motor ....

The thing that leads me to this is ...my plug bores on both my machines are really clean and shiny like new after the respective age and time you see in my sig.

I have never washed near the cam cover with water more than say 3 times. And I've never done it except cold the next day ... left over from not washing a car engine unless cold from my younger days.

Bit of a mystery that has been bugging me for some time ...

Regards
    RD
    05 Yamaha FX160 Cruiser -140 hrs Traded... 06 Yamaha Black Cruiser - 145hrs... 06 Yamaha 50th Ann Cruiser - 110hrs. In Australian waters ........

thegos

The air is full of moisture, and any 'infernal confusion' engine sucks it in.

The moisture in the Saturn oil cap, I will bet is because your wife does short low speed trips, and it has trouble burning the water off out of it, because the engine seldom gets really hot enough to.
    That's also a very good excuse to change the oil VERY regularly, and the VERY best one you can afford. Oil does go 'off' after 6 months. RD knows.

Guess it all depends if your wife loves her Saturn enough too.

PWCToday Regular

I have never had the machine in salt water, but it hasn't even come close to being submerged and there has never been water intrusion in the hull when riding. I sprayd some white lithium grease around the edges of the holes hoping that it will help the seal. Is that ok?

Matt

Matt,

This is the reason for my theory that is from cold water hitting the coil area with a warm engine ... what else can it be when no water goes into the hulls and you get water/moisture in the plug bores.

Its a powerful force, contraction, right up to 1 atmosphere (15 psi approx). Remember the experiment where you put some water in a drum then heat it with cap off ... then cap it and cool drum ...the whole thing crushes in on itself.

Same thing here ... the air in the plug bores expands and bypasses the O ring . You then spray cold water over the area and the cam cover cools rapidly and you get a negative pressure (vacuum) that draws water in. Its prolly just a mist or very small amount but its enough to set up a slow but sure, galvanic reaction of the disimilar metals in the presence of a liquid and oxygen.

The VX coils are much more exposed that the FX models so may happen more in the VXs ....

The lithium grease should be fine but some greases can affect O rings in the long term. I use Dow Corning Seal and O Ring Lubricant for all seal/O ring installs.

Regards
    RD

Deleted - Double post.
    Last edited by RiverDad; 03-20-2007 at 05:34 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Matt565
    Quote Originally Posted by puns
    well i got 3 vx 110 deluxe and the humidity gets to them .that happen to mine and the other one flip over so some water got around. but those are never to tight to begin with anyways but make sure they are tighten all the way down..by the way have you found any performance parts other than impeller,grate,intake i have those already but need more power...remember when taking spark plugs out and water is in there make sure to crank the engine alittle to get that water out one done clen area intall new ones..
    The only performance parts I have seen are air intakes, grates, and ride plate modifications. If you were going for upgrades, you should not have bought a VX110...I have heard them referred to as "the minivan of pwcs"
    well mat my skis do 58/59 mph pretty good so far for the speed i like it that way so im happy with them but where did you see the ride plate for the vx110 i have the intake great,air filter,and impellor so would apreciate it if you told me where..

PWCToday Regular

They don't just suck it in - internal combustion engines produce water. The byproducts of burning gasoline are CO2, H2O / water, CO, and other stuff from impurities/additives (I forget). That's why you can see the car's exhaust in the winter more than in the summer. In the winter the water vapor condenses... So any blowby on the rings will put moisture in the engine. But I doubt that blowby is the cause on the VX110 since its an 06.

On my wifes car... I wasn't too concerned about that because I change the oil every 3-4 k miles on our cars. And we drive a lot, so that's often. My 95 civic is at 232,000, using no oil, w/ no engine repairs (if I ever buy a new ski it will be a honda!). Her 03 VUE is at 72,000.

Her Saturn does get a few short trips a week, that are only two blocks to three miles. But it also gets four or five 60 mile trips per week. Its been a while since I noticed the white paste, and I don't remember if it was after a short trip or not. But since I haven't seen it many times, I suspect it was after a short trip.

-Joe

Joe,

I think you have mis-interpreted the problem here ...

We are talking the spark plug holes that are between two cam shafts on a typical twin overhead cam, plug mounted coil, 5 valve, engine ...

Not the cylinder bores ... with their blow by etc ....

Maybe a pic might nelp ...

In th first pic you can see the 4 plug mounted coils this engine uses ... they are sealed in the plug bores with a standard annular groove and an O ring.

In the 2nd pic you can see the coils removed showing the spark plugs ...this is the area where the moisture ingress is causing the corrosion in some cases.

Regards
    RD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RiverDad; 03-21-2007 at 06:30 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information