Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

06 VX110 water in spark plug holes

I pulled my spark plugs to check them today for the first time since summer and two of the holes had a significant amount of water in them. It had been there a while, too, because the spark plug was beginning to rust and corrode. I cleaned the plugs up, they will be replaced next week, but there is rust down in the hole around the plug now. Should water be able to get in there? I thought the coil housings were supposed to seal those holes off? Is this a warranty issue?

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 06 VX110 water in spark plug holes

well i got 3 vx 110 deluxe and the humidity gets to them .that happen to mine and the other one flip over so some water got around. but those are never to tight to begin with anyways but make sure they are tighten all the way down..by the way have you found any performance parts other than impeller,grate,intake i have those already but need more power...remember when taking spark plugs out and water is in there make sure to crank the engine alittle to get that water out one done clen area intall new ones..

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home RiverDad's Avatar

Are you guys washing down the motor when its still warm ???

RD
    05 Yamaha FX160 Cruiser -140 hrs Traded... 06 Yamaha Black Cruiser - 145hrs... 06 Yamaha 50th Ann Cruiser - 110hrs. In Australian waters ........

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad
    Are you guys washing down the motor when its still warm ???

RD
    No, it's a good hour drive back from the lake. I guess it could still be a little warm but it has plenty of time to cool off

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by puns
    well i got 3 vx 110 deluxe and the humidity gets to them .that happen to mine and the other one flip over so some water got around. but those are never to tight to begin with anyways but make sure they are tighten all the way down..by the way have you found any performance parts other than impeller,grate,intake i have those already but need more power...remember when taking spark plugs out and water is in there make sure to crank the engine alittle to get that water out one done clen area intall new ones..
    The only performance parts I have seen are air intakes, grates, and ride plate modifications. If you were going for upgrades, you should not have bought a VX110...I have heard them referred to as "the minivan of pwcs"

Matt,

I have a theory about moisture in the plug bores passing a sealed O ring system ...

The motor stays pretty warm for some time after its switched off ... 4 strokes have much more metal and therefore thermal mass than a 2 stroke say.

The motor is also in a "sealed to atmosphere" (virtually) so doesnt cool that quickly.

The plug bores get pretty hot inside and the air expands and bypasses the O ring ... as water sprays across the top of the cam covers to wash the inside/motor, the top cools, the air in the plug bores contracts and the O rings may pass water (bores suck it back) ???

Like when a hot sealed area like our trailer hubs hits cool water when we dunk them at the ramp ... it can draw water into the hubs ...

Are you riding in salt water by chance ??? If you are and the water inside is fresh (suck some out with a straw maybe?) its the hosing ... if its salt its coming in whilst riding .... (which I doubt) ... unless the inside gets fairly flooded, and the bores do the same when cold saltwater goes across the area (highly doubtful) ?

Regards
    RD
    Last edited by RiverDad; 03-19-2007 at 04:15 AM.
    05 Yamaha FX160 Cruiser -140 hrs Traded... 06 Yamaha Black Cruiser - 145hrs... 06 Yamaha 50th Ann Cruiser - 110hrs. In Australian waters ........

hm...

As you know, I had the same sort of issue with my FXHO Cruiser..

No water but there was corrosion. Obviously it had evaporated...

That theory is about the only one that makes sense...

Good thinking 99 - or should I say RD99?

It could be proven - just wash the motor when warm not hot then afterwards check if water goes inot the bores of the spark plugs?

Frank

I dream skis

Frank@RiverDad,Theses problems will end with that new ski dew out later this year, the one that uses the 3 D cell flashlight batteries, the only problem they had in testing were the contacts only lasted 2 weeks. WINK WINK. I have an 06 FXHO with the same problem I think RiverDad has the answer. JSM.

JSM,

Do you use cold water over warm (or higher) engine .... any chance you can see if the water is salt or fresh ??? You ride in salt always ?

RD

PWCToday Regular

I haven't had mine in salt water yet...riverdad your theory sounds believable to me...i will take that into account next time i wash it...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information