• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fredon500
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Feb 2007

Impeller Pitch explanation

Good morning folks,

I would like to obtain information on Impellers. I have a seadoo GTX 1997 and the stock impeller recommended is a 16-23. What is that mean? Is it that I can choose a pitch between 16 and 23 depending if I want more power or more speed or is this a specific model? I am confused a bit.

I also have a GTS 1993 and they recomment a 15.9 (No dashes nothing) is that mean that I don't have a choice on the impeller?

Anything would help.

Tx,
  • g-fly
    Resident Guru
    • May 2006

Re: Impeller Pitch explanation

Good Morning,

the first impeller you list is a variable pitch. 16- degrees of which the leading edge is set to and 23 - trailing edge. when there is just one number listed, it is a straight pitch where the leading and trailing are the same.

G

Comment

• Watercraft Magic
      Tech Guru
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Feb 2004

And you still have choices. For instance, when your older 1993 GTS was made, you rarely saw any new pwc's with varible pitch impellors, but once the pwc manufactuers noticed we recreational and racing pwc people were having better luck with our aftermarket varible pitched impellors, they became standard equiptment on new pwc's.

So, you could upgrade that old ski with a new varible pitched impellor, that goes better in all circumstances and not so much of a compromise as a single pitched impellor.
      email Chris at Watercraft Magic [email protected]

Comment

• fredon500
        PWCToday Newbie
        • Feb 2007

And what would be the recommended Variable Pitch for my 1993 GTX?

Comment

• Watercraft Magic
          Tech Guru
          • Feb 2004

Skat Trak suggests a 13x18 Slimline impellor for a 1993 GTX.
          email Chris at Watercraft Magic [email protected]

Comment

• Shonuff
            • Mar 2005

The first number is the leading edge pitch. This indicates the amount of water being scooped into the pump. A lower number means a bigger scoop, which means more water goes into the pump. The second number is the trailing edge. This is the edge that accelerates the water, a higher number means more top end. (if your motor can pull it)

The "spread" is the difference between the 2 numbers. The bigger the difference between the numbers, the greater the amount of water that gets processed thru the pump. The bigger the spread (or window) however, the more torque you need to be making to pull the prop through this greater volume of water.

Props to WetWolf for the definition.

Give the guys at Impros.com a call for all your impeller needs.
            SUR #192

Comment

Working...
            X