Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Hellwoman Moderator

Please Write to Alan

Hello All,

Alan is a K38 Alumni, he had an accident that has rendered him a quadriplegic, at his home he fell out of the second story window. He is now living in a hospital with 24 hour care but has now gotten on the internet. It is very difficult for him to write people back, but he reads everything that is sent and spend all of his time online once his computer is set up. If you have any funny jokes or links or stories or any general interest, please send it to his email account. He is in the San Francisco Bay Area of California. Thank you for your compassion.

Regards,
    Shawn

WRITE TO: Alan Nelson

arn@hax.com

Hellwoman Moderator

Re: Please Write to Alan

Hello Shawn thank you for writing. Im in bed sick today but I had to
    tell you how stoked I was to see you on the front page of the
    Chronicle. Im going to read the paper it's a big story so I will talk
    to you later you must be very exited your friend Alan.

On Jan 29, 2007, at 6:04 PM, K38RESCUE@aol.com wrote:

>
    > It has been cold, raining sometimes. The sky outside is somber, there
    > is not much wind. The sun set very softly with a pink hue to it across
    > the ocean. Today was a quiet kind of day.
    > I am thinking of you.
    > Love
    > Shawnie

Banned

pardon my ignorance, but as a quadrapelegic, how is he able to type? is he using voice recognotion software?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rudedog's Avatar

Stephen Hawking (1942- ), who has been paralyzed by Lou Gehrig's disease, is confined to a wheelchair and requires a voice synthesizer to speak. One of the world's top mathematical physicists, he has sought to link quantum mechanics and relativity, the two major theories of modern physics.

This may be one way that quads can communicate with the outside world.
    I for one have found that Hawkins, though paralyzed completely, is probably one of the greatest minds out there to date.
    Hope this helps with your question..

Rudedog

The faster you go, the faster you wanna go. RPM
    Bomber Eyewear, Impros, KMG

Hellwoman Moderator

The nurse will come into the room and set up his computer, and sit him up as well. A reflective dot is put on his forehead and adjusted to the computer screen. He uses his 'eyes' to guide the reflective dot and it is a painstakingly slow process where he 'looks' at every single letter to type a word, a space, etc.

Please send him some jokes or links to muscle cars...which he loved when he was able to drive. And if you are ever in San Mateo you could drop by to visit him. I'll be going to see him next Friday hopefully. Tell him your my friend and you wanted to share something fun with him.

He'll be so happy.

He has no contact with the outside world virtually.

Thanks! Shawn

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home LisaLisa's Avatar

Will Do Shawn....are you headed this way Saturday for Jim's memorial service?

What a year 2007 is turning out to be =/

Piggyback rides are my preferred mode of transportation

Hellwoman Moderator

Heya Lisa, yeah I fly up to SFO on Friday, Ray and I have an evening out in the City, then we drive to the ceremony on Saturday. It's a sad year, and just a strong impression to live life better than yesterday, a good motivator to focus on good things and how we can change ourselves to become better human beings and do good works with the we have left....

Hellwoman Moderator

Quadriplegic Sailor Hopes to Set Another Record
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:56:00 AM
    Last updated: Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:56:00 AM
    U.K. woman is in final preparations for solo journey round the British Isles.

Photo by: Curtosey of www.hilarylister.com
    Hilary Lister

Hilary Lister, a 35-year-old quadriplegic from, of Canterbury, England not holy has mastered sailing; she’s now preparing for a record-breaking solo sail trip around the British Isles.

Growing up, Lister was heavily involved in hockey, swimming and horseback riding. She was also classically versed in the clarinet, touring all over Europe by the age of 23. Her life dramatically changed after being diagnosed with a degenerative disease that left her with only the ability to move her eyes, mouth and head.

Falling into depression, Lister refused to leave the house and relied on her family and friends for the smallest of tasks. After being persuaded by a friend to get out for a sailing trip, everything changed.
    Lister got her first taste of the sea with the help of Westbere Sailing Opportunity, a nonprofit organization that helps to give the sailing experience to individuals of all ages and disabilities. She then was loaned a 26-foot Soling keelboat to learn how to maneuver on the water.

Thanks to charitable contributions, the sailboat was outfitted with a sip and puff device that Lister uses to control the sails and tiller with just her breath. Within months, she became a proficient sailor and had a new lease on life.

“You have a freedom on water you don’t have anywhere,” Lister said. “It’s hard to explain what it’s like being stuck in a wheelchair.”

“Here [on the boat] I’m the boss,” Lister told Britain’s Guardian newspaper. “As well as steering, I can chose to sail flat, or go faster. It’s wonderful to have choices again.”

In August 2005, Lister made international news by sailing solo across the English Channel-- entering the record books as the first quadriplegic to sail across the channel and for the longest solo sail by a quadriplegic.

She is now setting her sights on breaking her own record by sailing solo around the British Isles. Lister will embark in a series of day sails, with her exact GPS position recorded at the end of the day. A support crew will then tow her to land and back to the exact position the following day. The trip is expected to last 3-4 months, and she is scheduled to start June 9.
    To follow her record-breaking journey, check out the daily updates at www.hilarylister.com.

Thread Information