Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

Intermittent spark Issues...I think

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Sea Doo Explorer with a 717 engine. The engine is not the original is if that matters. I don't know what year the engine is...it's grey if that helps to identify it. This engine had a single carb, but I put my dual carbs on it.

Before I put it in the water It seamed to be running fine. In the water It will not get up to speed and now it will not rev up even out of the water. The spark stopped completely, just before the battery died from cranking it... not even a tickle...I tested it with my hand. I thought that was odd because the engine was still turning over at full speed. After charging the battery the spark came back.

I don't know if this is an accepted method for testing spark, but I grabbed my timing light and attached it to the Mag spark plug wire. With the engine running at idle, out of the water, the timing light showed a consistent spark...when I revved the engine the timing light showed an intermittent spark. The PTO spark plug wire was better, but it still showed a slightly intermittent spark.

Here are a few things that I plan on checking that may or may not be related to this issue.

It is possible that water could have gotten into the Mag cover if there is a leak, because there was a leak in the boat.

I did swap carbs so It is possible that the rotary valve is installed wrong, but I don't think so.

One of the needle and seats had an odd double pop off and reseated slowly. I will be replacing it when it gets here.
    Last edited by MAL; 10-25-2020 at 11:13 PM.

PWCToday Regular

Re: Intermittent spark Issues...I think

make sure you check the rotary valve

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

The 717 has a very long crank and inherent vibration issues. I commonly find bad front crank bearings on a high hour engine. Pull the stator cover, pop the flywheel off, and look for "witness" marks inside the flywheel.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Regular

Thanks guys, I found the spark plug boots were both loose. After I screwed them back on it seems to run fine...I will know more when I get it back in the water.

Thread Information