• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamRMH
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Jun 2018

1999 Tigershark TSL 770 won’t start

Hello all.

I’ve been lurking for a while, reading up on PWCs and ended up purchasing a 770 this winter. I had a mechanic friend of mine check it over before i picked it up and was told wverything looked in great shape.

I have had it in the water three times...and had a great time. Went to put it in the water last night and it wont seem to fire up. It just makes a sound like something is spinning in there. Squeeze the throttle...nothing.

I’m a novice here so go easy on me.

Texted my mechanic buddy...he is out of town for a few weeks and called the local marina and they told me they no longer service jet skis.

Any ideas and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • hemmjo
    Resident Guru
    • Oct 2013

Re: 1999 Tigershark TSL 770 won’t start

When you say something is spinning, does it sound like the starter is spinning, but it is not engaging the flywheel to turn the engine? The bendix that engages the flywheel is under the cover on the front of the engine. If it gets wet, the shaft can rust and prevent it from working properly.

I am confused when you say you squeeze the throttle and nothing happens.

I have 2 1998 TSL 770's Same thing happened to one of mine when I first got them.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Comment

• teamRMH
      PWCToday Newbie
      • Jun 2018

I guess it sounds like the starter is spinning. But then engine is not engaging.

By “squeeze the throttle and nothing” I just meant that normally when i would go to start it up I’d push the start button and give it a little gas (via the throttle).

Is there a test to figure out whether the Vedic has gone bad...outside of pulling the engine out and looking?

Comment

• Myself
        PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
        • Jun 2006

Pull the engine front cover off and lay it to the side. You can leave the oil pump bolted on. Then you can visually inspect the bendix for corrosion or rust. Take a pic and post it.
        http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
        +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
        ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
        light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• teamRMH
          PWCToday Newbie
          • Jun 2018

Got the cover off and its off to the side. Here is a picture of the bendix.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	CB2545CF-AA73-44A2-A2C7-387423429CFF.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	4377463

Comment

• teamRMH
            PWCToday Newbie
            • Jun 2018

The starter is spinning the bendix but it isn’t throwing it forward.

Comment

• Myself
              • Jun 2006

Can you grab it and rotate it forward?

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
              +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• hemmjo
                Resident Guru
                • Oct 2013

DON'T try to make it spin with the starter motor while that cover is off. There is a bearing in the cover that holds the bendix straight. If it does engage the flywheel and tries to turn the motor, it will break stuff!!!!

If you pull too much you will pull the bendix out of the rear bearing.

I see some rust/corrosion on the flywheel, here is probably come on the bendix shaft also. Try some penetrating oil on the bendix shaft. Then put the cover back on and try it.
                2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Comment

• teamRMH
                  PWCToday Newbie
                  • Jun 2018

Unable to rotate it forward...can spin it counterclockwise by hand.

I’ll try some penetrating oil tomorrow. Any specific brand you’d suggest?

Comment

• Myself
                    • Jun 2006

Any brand will be fine. Soak it down, use a long flatblade screwdriver placed against the bendix teeth, try bumping it forward with your hand on the back of the driver. If you can work it loose and get it coming forward to engage the flywheel you can spray it down with white lithium spray and it should continue working. I've done it several times.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Comment

• teamRMH
                      PWCToday Newbie
                      • Jun 2018

I tapped the bendix a coupla times with a plastic mallet, then soaked it pretty good with PB Blaster (and let it sit overnight). Repeated again this morning...put the cover back on and she fired right up.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

One more question...the gasket on the cover got stretched pretty good...is there a place to order a new one or should i just use something like GasketMaker to seal it up?

Thanks again.

Comment

• cleetus
                        Top Dog
                        • May 2005

you can get a gasket from sbt. don't use gasket sealer it will just make it tough to pull and cleanup..

Comment

• hemmjo
                          Resident Guru
                          • Oct 2013

Not sure what kind of places you have around your area, I am thinking that Halifax should have some pretty heavy duty marine repair facilities. You may be abe to find material to make your own more quickly that ordering it from anyone in the states.

I am fortunate to have an industrial hydraulic supply outlet on my area. In addition to hydraulics, they have all kinds of o'rings. They also have spools of all sizes of o'ring material so you can make a o'ring any size you need. If you can get o'ring material or large o'rings of the correct cross section, you can make your own using a razor blade and super glue.

Here is a video, you can disregard the math part, use a string to measure the length needed to fit around the cover in the groove.

In this instructional video, we show you how to measure and cut custom size o-rings. For this example we have used nitrile o-ring cord bonded with Weicon VA ...

Comment

• rdjeep
                            Resident Guru
                            • Jun 2006

Since there was some rust in there, see if there is a small accordion shaped bladder on a nipple under there. If it is still there, it is likely torn, and you could get water in the front case if some reason it got deep enough in the hull from a major leak. You don't need the bladder per se, but you can connect a piece of hose and run the other end up high somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                            X