• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fijiblue
    PWCToday Regular
    • Dec 2014

New owner.. 94..slt 750. Basic questions

Hello all. I had a Yamaha long time ago and I just purchased this Polaris today. Please bare with me. I attached a picture of this valve looking thing. Not sure of iys purpose but obviously missing hoses. Can anyone tell me what it is and where do the hoses go?

Also there are a couple old yellowish hoses that come from the under side of the rear of the ski. Close to the seat. Is it a vent? Or bilge pump? There is nothing connected to the hoses they are just hanging.

And last question..the electrical box is just resting in the rear of the ski. Where does it properly mount?

And how good is the oil system? Should I premix?
    Attached Files
  • octane972
    PWCToday Regular
    • Dec 2006

Re: New owner.. 94..slt 750. Basic questions

The valve is a vacuum operated fuel shut off. They tended to cause problems and latter models did not come with them. I would remove it.

Sent from my KING_KONG_3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• fijiblue
      PWCToday Regular
      • Dec 2014

I appreciate it. I will remove it. Do you know about the other stuff I mentioned?

Comment

• octane972
        PWCToday Regular
        • Dec 2006

Vinyl hoses that have one end attached near the jet pump would be part of a bilge siphon that draws water out of the hull when water is moving through the jet pump. Each siphon hose should have two sections joined by a plastic elbow with a small hole in the side. The end that lays in the bottom of the hull originally had a metal screen. The elbow should be hung up well above the water line. If it is below the water line, water will enter the hull through the hoses whenever the engine is not running.

Comment

• octane972
          PWCToday Regular
          • Dec 2006

In my experience the oil injection is very reliable. I spent ten years as a mechanic at a Polaris dealership and never saw an engine fail due to an oil injection failure. However I recommend inspecting all the hoses. The only hard part I have seen fail on the oil injection is the check valves at carburetor end of the small lines from the pump. They should pop open at 1 psi. I have seen a couple that didn't close which allowed oil to drip into the engine when it was not running. This can cause excessive smoke shortly after startup and plug fouling.

Last edited by octane972; 10-17-2020, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• fijiblue
            PWCToday Regular
            • Dec 2014

Sweet thank you! Should I do the tri fuel pump upgrade or leave stock?

Comment

• octane972
              PWCToday Regular
              • Dec 2006

I might consider upgrading the fuel pump, but in my experience that one is sufficient if the fuel line routing from the pump to the carbs has been updated. (Assuming the boat is stock.)

Comment

• fijiblue
                PWCToday Regular
                • Dec 2014

Talking a bigger fuel line or what?

Comment

• octane972
                  PWCToday Regular
                  • Dec 2006

Originally I think the line from the fuel pump outlet connected to the rear carb and the other two were fed via hoses from it. Most that I seen have had it changed. The original connection at the carb was capped and the line from the pump outlet connected to a tee which then fed two other tees that were spliced into the short hoses that ran between the carburetors. I think this was done as a factory update. It would ensure even fuel feeding to all the carbs.

Comment

• fijiblue
                    PWCToday Regular
                    • Dec 2014

I gotcha....I tested on it a little today..out of the water..just compression test. For 130 across the 3 cylinders...but I noticed a leak of gas from carb closes to the front of the hull....hard to see without pulling the fire screen off. But I saw 3 screws. So I assume some diagram or something is behind it..kinda looked like a triangle on the side of the carb.

Is there a water outlet for the water pump? Like a outboard has. A pisser to ensure the water pump is working...forgive me im new to Polaris.

Also I did get it started for a few seconds. But the sounded rough from the drive shift area. Vibration maybe the bearing is bad. I was told it had a new shaft but those are famous words haha. I did the shaft in my old jet ski years ago..so should be like riding a bike

Comment

• octane972
                      PWCToday Regular
                      • Dec 2006

It's the diaphragm on one carb is leaking, you probably need to rebuild all three. Cooling water comes from the jet pump so the engine does not need a water pump. This machine does not have a pisser. Cooling water dumps out just above the jet pump.

Comment

• octane972
                        PWCToday Regular
                        • Dec 2006

Drive line rattle is pretty normal when out of the water, especially if the splines have not been greased in a while. If you have major vibration or any kind of growling, grinding, scraping or squealing sounds I would pull the pump and inspect the entire drive line.

Comment

• fijiblue
                          PWCToday Regular
                          • Dec 2014

I'm just going to redo the bearings in the drive line anyway. But I'll check everything out. I do wish it had a pisser tho. I'm always worried about overheating. And yes ill rebuild the carb. Its leaking pretty good.
                          I know that I'll change all the oil lines and fuel lines but should I premix a small amount too? Or just trust the oil system

Comment

• octane972
                            PWCToday Regular
                            • Dec 2006

I have never run premix with oil injection except during engine break in.

Comment

Working...
                            X